Brackish Planting Subtrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

penguinpimp1990

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I want to plant my 55 gallon brackish tank , and I think the subtrate will be an issue. The fish that will be moved into this tank require a sand bottomed tank. The plants however will obviously do better with a good plant subtrate like flourite and laterite. I dont want to put the plant subtrate under a layer of sand as it will soon come to the surface and i hate the look of the tank like this. So are there any plant subtrates that are either sand or very very fine? (oh forgot to mention that eco complete from what i hear is almost sand like but i dont want a black subtrate as the background will be black and it will be a little too dark with fish like dalmation mollies, bbg's and other black fish) Or is there another way around this that you could think of? Maybe putting a screen in between the gravel layer and the sand but this might constrict root growth?

I don't think that there are many plants for brackish water tanks. The only thing I've heard of is java moss and java fern, because they can take lightly salted water. There are only a few true brackish water plants, but they will be really hard to find.

I believe mangrove is actually one of the few true brackish water plants. You can look on aquariumplants.com They have a brackish water plant section, but as I said, most of them aren't true brackish water plants.

actually with a light brackish setup like mine you have qute a few options like java moss, java fern, vallis, tiger lotuses and a few others......... but does anyone have a suggestion for my first question?

and no mangroves need to have the bulk of the plant out of water and like high sg levels, not suitable for this tank but perfect for my 40 gallon mangrove tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back