Bottom Feeder?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've only ever had Cory's as bottom feeders, but I was hoping to get a different kind for my 30 gal tank. I`m looking at the site to the LFS in my area and they have a variety of bottom feeders.

My tank is 30 gal (36L x 18H x 12W) With a sand bottom, it will have live plants and bog wood in it by the time I'm done,
I was wondering what people think would do best in my tank :good:

Possibly a bristlenose plec or a couple of pitbulls as you have sand, a clown pleco might work aswell or the classic kuhli loaches :D

I've only ever had Cory's as bottom feeders, but I was hoping to get a different kind for my 30 gal tank. I`m looking at the site to the LFS in my area and they have a variety of bottom feeders.

My tank is 30 gal (36L x 18H x 12W) With a sand bottom, it will have live plants and bog wood in it by the time I'm done,
I was wondering what people think would do best in my tank :good:
Hoplos! X)))

But it takes a while to train them not to touch the plants... And if you have fry around, they'll tear the plants and put them all to the surface. Or if you have females with them, they will probably start making bubble nests AND ripping the plants.

I'm interested in the Pleco's, I've seen Kuhli Loaches in my local LFS and they look sort of like eels and aren't my first choice.

Haplo's aren't even mentioned in the store stock so I think I'm out of luck there.

I was reading on the LFS site and they say Pleco's commonly grow over 12in long. In my 36'' tank wouldn't that be a bit too big? :/

I was just hoping to get a bottom feeder that would be a decent size I'm tired of all the 2'' fish in my tank But I don't want to stunt the fish's growth with the limited size of my tank. Something around 4-8 in would be alright I guess, but anything larger and I'd feel bad (Though the Kuhli are listed as growing to 5in)

The sight only lists Plecostomus, not specific kinds so I guess I'll just have to ask what particular kinds they have so I know what I have to choose from :p (Though Rubber lipped Pleco's are listed by themselves)

I'm interested in the Pleco's, I've seen Kuhli Loaches in my local LFS and they look sort of like eels and aren't my first choice.

Haplo's aren't even mentioned in the store stock so I think I'm out of luck there.

I was reading on the LFS site and they say Pleco's commonly grow over 12in long. In my 36'' tank wouldn't that be a bit too big? :/

I was just hoping to get a bottom feeder that would be a decent size I'm tired of all the 2'' fish in my tank But I don't want to stunt the fish's growth with the limited size of my tank. Something around 4-8 in would be alright I guess, but anything larger and I'd feel bad (Though the Kuhli are listed as growing to 5in)

The sight only lists Plecostomus, not specific kinds so I guess I'll just have to ask what particular kinds they have so I know what I have to choose from :p (Though Rubber lipped Pleco's are listed by themselves)
Hoplo can be named Megalechis Thoracata or Lepthoplosternum Pectorale (dwarf hoplo) or for the bigger ones Hoplosternum Littorale but those grow huge.
Max size for thoracata would be 7 inch from what I've read. Mine's probably stunted because he grew in a 40L tank and is now around 5 inches (13 cm), not sure if the 76L tank will get him growing anymore. He's very old.

A pleco you might like: Bristlenose Pleco / Ancistrus. They'd grow to 7 inches. And they aren't really bottom feeders but more like algae eaters and vegetarians.

A bristlenose would be ideal for your tank. I've got an L052 and that's very nice fish that gets to only 4 or 5 inches. Bit more expensive than a BN though.

I have a black bristle nose & an albino plec. The albino I've had for around 1 year and is approx. 4" long. They are great to watch and are one of my fave's!!! .
I know common plecs grow large but you will be ok with bristle noses, etc.
Good luck with your choice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back