Bolivian Rams And Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Larkspur

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought 2 Bolivian Rams yesterday. I put them in an empty 10 gallon temporarily until I found out more about them.

I would like to put them in my 37 gallon community tank and have them sort of the center piece fish. The tank has guppies, platies, 9 cories, but also 3 female bettas. Not sure if they will coexist with the bettas or not. I was told by my LFS not to get another aggressive fish for the tank because it will share that niche with the bettas.

But they were soooooo cute....

So will it be okay? I think I am going to try anyway and just watch them for a while. If anything I can move the bettas though I'd much rather them all live in the same tank together.

Bolivians aren't agressive and stick to the bottom level so should have no issues with the bettas. The only fish you will find them squabbling with is eachother and other small cichlids over territory.

With bettas you need to be careful with fish that nip fins like tiger barbs and other semi aggressive fish because the bettas have very delicate fins that attract other fish.

Ive also been wondering this? Are bolivian fin nippers? How would they do with a male?

(Sorry to hijack your thread, just seemed silly to make an identical one :blush: )

Not fin nippers at all. They keep themselves to themselves unless it's other small/medium cichlids and they're squabbling over territory.

Yeah they do their own thing and look happy in the 37. My 3 females went and investigated them at first, but then lost interest. The rams are laid back and if they chase anything it seems to be each other. :good:

I've just put a betta in with my pair of Bolivians in my well planted 29 g tank
Obviously a little concerned whether this will work out though I have researched it extensively
Any recent updates on how yours did with the betta?
Posted a pic of mine he's active but quite docile and doesn't seem to be bothered about any of the other fish i only went for it when he was housed in a community tank in the Lfs
1ea34ed094e09ade477c3b7923a74443.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back