Bojangles Fishless Cycle

Added 5 ppm of ammonia at 9PM lastnight should have been at 7pm but i fell asleep

Tests at 9am this morning

Ammonia 0 (-5 ppm)
Nitrite 5+
Nitrate - 20
PH 7.6

Went out today at 11:20 checked nitrite readings before going out and they were still 5+ got home at 3:30 and readings for nitrite were 0 ppm they are dropping from 5ppm to 0 ppm in 18 hours

If my tests are like above on Saturday would it be ok to put some fish ?

Im just worried about my bacteria dying off while i am away for 5 days in Disneyland paris

topped up lastnight at 9PM

Ammonia 4-5ppm

Tested this morning before heading out 2 hours before 12 hour test was due

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
PH 7.6

so, today is the first day that it's dropped both ammonia and nitrite in 12 hrs then? if so then what we'd usually advise at this point is a qualifying week, keep adding the ammonia every day, if it's consistently dropping to 0,0 within 12 hrs then at the end of the week you're OK to add fish.

When are you off to disneyland?

so, today is the first day that it's dropped both ammonia and nitrite in 12 hrs then? if so then what we'd usually advise at this point is a qualifying week, keep adding the ammonia every day, if it's consistently dropping to 0,0 within 12 hrs then at the end of the week you're OK to add fish.

When are you off to disneyland?

Saturday afternoon

My only worry about leaving tank is losing all my hard work really dont trust anyone else to add ammonia but if push comes to shove i will have to trust my dad but dont know what i will come back to :blink:

the problem is that the few weeks immediately after a tank is cycled is quite fragile, you often get an unexplained bit of bacteria die off and a blip in your readings or something like that. thats why we advise to do a qualifying week. it's basically all risk mitigation, if you wait the extra week before adding fish you have much less chance of having a blip in your readings and accidentally exposing your fish to ammonia which would be such a shame after all your hard work.

either way you run a risk here, you either risk your dad getting something wrong and messing up the cycle or you risk something going wrong with the water levels and it going undetected because your not there to monitor it.

so (in work mode now) you need to do a risk assesment and see which course of action you feel would be worse.

so lets take option 1 - put some fish in and leave your dad to look after the tank,
can your dad be trusted to test the water every day?
will he be able to do a several daily water changes if the readings are not what they should be?
can you be sure he won't do something like overfeed the fish and cause a mini cycle?

if he does make a mistake the conseuqnces of the action are very high, you could kill or cause permanent damage to your new fishies. however if he gets it right and there's no blips in the readings then it could all go fine.

option 2 - get your dad to add ammonia for you
again can he be trusted to test and add ammonia every day?
the most likely problem is either a pH crash or he adds too much ammonia and stalls the cycle. if he does either of these and the cycle is then stalled for all 5 days (worst case scenario) then what you'd have to do when you come back is water changes and sort it out. once you'd fixed whatever stalled the cycle you'd find that the bacteria colony is mostly still there, you may have to do anoter week of cycling but it's highly unlikely that you'd be back to square one. also remember while the consequences might be a pain in the butt for you, there's no real risk involved, no animals will get harmed.

so my choice would be option 2, just get him to add 2/3ppm of ammonia each day which is much less likely to cause the pH to crash and also less likely to overdose as even if he adds double what he's meant to it'll be fine. if everything goes smoothly while you're away then you will jsut need 1/2 days o working it back up to 5ppm of ammonia a day, then a qualifying week at this level and then you can add fish.

i have sorted away using a 2.5ML meassuring spoon :lol:

He is going to add one of them at 9AM every day and hopfuly that will keep it running till i get back on the 6th :good:

Hello all i am back from Euro Disney :D

Looks like my tank has fully cycled aswell just doing the tests to make sure nitrite and ammonia are going within 12 hours then i will probs ad fish next saturday

Most reactions

Back