Blue Ram isn't looking so good :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

abe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got myself a blue ram a little more than a week ago. She's been fine up until a day ago. I noticed she lost a little bit of her color, but didn't think anything of it. Today, she barely has ANY color, her eyes are even going pink (normally red). She's resting at the bottom of the tank, appears to have a problem w/ balancing, and is breathing rapidly.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don't wanna lose her, she's so unique & perty :(

Just did a water test, everything is "normal" for my tank: kh 40ppm, gh 25ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 40ppm (I can never get this to go down).

My kit doesn't test for amonia, but I would assume it is at 0; I'm not sure what the ph is either because the color on the strip (multi test strip) doesn't match the colors on the guide. I know it's low though, but wouldn't she go into shock right away?

& my water is soft according to the test strip.

Hi, I have a pair of juvie German Blue Rams , size of a dime and very colorful . They are in My 29gal tank/emperor280 /79degree/ 0 ammo/0nitite ,but a ph of 8 . These little guys EAT ! They have even been picking at the cuke on the bottom for the otos ! Few white spots appeared 2 days after I had brought them home ,acclimated them to the water over a 2 1/2 hour period . Been treating the tank with ICH*Attack from Kordon for the last 4 days and spots are dropping as they should but no other spots or fish are infected . Your fish seems to have been stressed, if not severly sick . Could it have been harrassed by a tank mate ? Did you de-clorinate the water for W/C ? Just throwing what if's out there . WVLeo

Yeah I declorinate the water, Ive been using stress coat for that.

I think she has died :( Poor cute little ram :byebye:

My gourami has been a little agressive toward her & the other fish I bought (a tetra to replace the one I lost a while ago), but he has calmed down quite a bit (after a few days).

I'll have to see what the pet shop's readings are, to compare them. I want rams so bad!

I'm very sorry about your loss, but you can own rams! Blue rams are actually more senstive than their relatives the gold and bolivian rams, so maybe try one of those instead? Bolivians are the hardiest and have the boldest attitudes so they may stand up better to your gouramis attitude. They're also cheaper than blue rams. :thumbs: I own all 3 of those speciesof rams, so if you wants pics or more info just ask. The only mishap is i have the complete opposite of water chemistry that u have. I have very hard, alkaline water but i've heard of rams being raised sucessfully in both types of water so that shouldnt make a difference(except in breeding).

I think Ive seen gold ones on the net, but not Bolivians, do you have a pic handy? :) I had my first breakout of ich recently, that's when I decided upon rams, so I patiently waited until the treatment was completely over (and then some) to get one.

The aggression thing has me considering getting a larger tank though ;) It may be time for a 30 gallon; or larger if my mum will let me put one elsewhere in the house.

humph, well see. Hopefully it was a bad batch or something.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back