blue green mess

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

geoffrunci

Reaction score
I've had me 50 gall tank set up for about 3 months and fairly heavily planted with Vallis and Swords.
Everything was fine till 2 weeks ago when I got a sudden bloom of blue green algae, after testing all the usual parameters the only thing that seemed odd was the lack of nitrate which consistently reads 0, after doing some research I discovered that the problem could be high phosphate levels and low nitrate levels ie the redfield ratio, which after testing proved to be the case. But why is it that my nitrate levels do not build up.

If it is an algae usually robbing it of its light source will kill it. So keep the lights off in the tank for a few days and do a water change or two and that should help. If it is blue green algae here is a link that may help Blue green Algae It might be a bit more info than you require but the controlling part is near the end of the article. Good Luck :)

What genuine idea is to add erythromycin in aquarium!? Want to make more resistant Streptococcus pyogenes or what? :angry: (link above)

There are also different kinds of natural methods to get rid of blue-green algae. E.g. lower pH under 7 (if you can), change water enough, shorten light-time, using peat-filtration and finally use acriflavine to destroy algae.

But why is it that my nitrate levels do not build up.

Are you sure you done test right? How many fishes and plant's approximately? It could be that plants use all NO3- from water, but then you should have real heavy planted tank and only few small fishes. And if test is showing right, 0 mg/l, then you should add e.g. KNO3 to increase NO3- level. Probably it also helps to battle against blue-green algae, when your plants start to to grow faster again.

First you should tell us everything about your tank (look 2., pinned msg from category "emergencies").

thanx for the advice guys
even before the bloom the nitrate read 0mg/l I've checked the kit with the water from my lfs (and that showed 100mg/l) so it's not the kit, water changes don't help since my tapwater tests at over 3mg/l of phosphates and getting kno3 here in the uk is damned difficult. Ive done a strip out today and used the bleach method on plants (now much depleted), decor and top layer of gravel and at least the tank looks clean again. I'm adding Co2 this week to see if that helps. If anyone knows of a supplier of Kno3 here in the UK it'd be most helpful

Tank consists of following:
48x18x18 50gall tank
2-3 mm gravel substrate with 7 balls clay fertiliser
bogwood decor
3 38watt flourecent tubes(1x triton, 1x daylight plus, 1x freshwater)
plus custom made stainless steel reflector
Fish:
4 small angels
15 cardinal tetras
5 corydoras julii
2 german blue rams
3 young ancistrus
and 1 freshwater shrimp (snook in with the angels)
Ph no2 no3 no4
7.2 0mg/l 0mg/l 0mg/l
Rowaphos added to filter 1 week ago

Blue green algae is not a plant, its a bacteria

"Blue-green, slime or smear algae
Grows rapidly in blue-green, slimy sheets. Spreads rapidly over almost everything and usually indicates poor water quality. However, blue-green algae can fix nitrogen and may be seen in aquariums with extremely low nitrates. Sometimes seen in small quantities between the substrate and aquarium sides. Will smother and kill plants.
This is actually cyanobacteria. It can be physically removed, but this is not a viable long term solution as the aquarium conditions are still favorable for it and it will return quickly. Treatment with 200 mg of erythromycin phosphate per 10 gallons of water will usually eliminate blue-green algae but some experts feel it may also have adverse effects on the biological filter bed. If erythromycin is used for treatment, ammonia and nitrite levels should be carefully monitored."

Like I said before, there is no reason to use erythromycin. And because geoffrunci lives in Europe, UK, he will not get that stuff from pharmacy.

f you really want to destroy that algae (cyanobaceria), you need to use acriflavine. You need 0,1% solution of acriflavine for every 100 liter water. You ask your pharmacy to make that solution for you (0,1% acriflavine). First you remove all visible algae and then you add that solution to your tank, turn lights off for 3-5 days. Make partial water changes during that time. And because you have living plants, you can't keep lights off so much time - keep them "off" only 3 days. Then you turn lights on again, but keep them "on" only few hours first. Then after couple days, you start to keep your lights on in this way:

9.00-11.00 lights on
11-14.00/15.00 lights off
15.00-21.00 lights on

It helps to battle against algaes. Blue-green algae needs light to grow.

Because you have so much phosphates in your tank, you should do more water changes (although you have phospahtes in your tap water too - but much less still). Try to find some KNO3 for plants too (ask from pharmacy, agriculture stores...)

Do you feed your fishes by shrimp pellets? Some of them contain lots of phosphates. And don't over feed either!

Rowaphos added to filter 1 week ago

Does this help to remove phosphates?

I live in the uk and was looking for a nitrate source also,someone suggested a local pharmacy so i went down to my nearest tescos and asked them.They didnt have any in but they can order it. I think it was about 7.99 for x amounts of potassium nitrate.

Hi mrv and stanley
Thanx for the advice, MrV I'll certainly try what you suggest and see what happens, although the phosate problem with my tap water still remains. As I said it is over 3mg/l which is very high, I've tried to talk to my water company about this but with little success so far seems customer services don't extend to technical advice.
Stanley, hope you have better luck than me, tried 3 chemists so far but all they say is no we can't get it, still such is life :/ ,I'll try a few more.
thanx again

Finally found a chemist who is getting me the potassium nitrate,
("providing", he said, "I'm not going to blow anybody up"). :hey:

Also added my diy Co2 setup which is bubbling away nicely, so everything will be in place this weekend. The blue green algae has returned since I did the cleanout but nowhere near as badly and if I can get the redfield ratio in balance hopefully we'll have beaten it.
I'll let you all know how I go on.
Thanx for all the advice :clap:

You need 0,1% solution of acriflavine for every 100 liter water.

:lol:

Well, I totally forgot to tell "how much you need that 0,1% solution"... Yep, 100ml/100 liter water.

Thanx MrV yes I was wondering. By the way Rowaphos is a phosphate removing resin yes.

Well as for obtaining KNO3 it seems the manufacturers that supply most chemists up here in the northwest have stopped producing it, therefore chemists can't supply it.
However, I have managed to locate some, on EBAY no less! So I'm just waiting for that to arrive.

I also received a copy of the local drinking water register today from my local water authority, and guess what it, doesn't list the phosphate levels in the tap water :grr: so that investigation is ongoing.
I'll let you all know how I get on

Ask it from some agriculture store! They sell KNO3 too... But before you buy any, check that it doesn't contain any other nutrients (like calsium...)

("providing", he said, "I'm not going to blow anybody up").

"Sure, my aquarium!" :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back