BloodParrot Tankmates

BandE

Reaction score
Hello everyone-
We currently have a 30 gallon tank that is home to one 3 inch blood parrot. We're planning on making the long drive to the best LFS around tomorrow to get a tankmate/s. We'd like something colorful, if possible. Anyone have suggestions?
As always, we truly appreciate your help! :D

i think the blood parrot will eventually outgrow your 30, they get pretty big. ive seen 8 ito 10 inch blood parrots before. secondly they can be nasty. i had a blood parrot that chased everything in my tank, including oscars and convicts. Most people mix BPs with other similar sized cichlids, silver dollars, and tinfoil barbs but they'd be extremely cramped in your tank. the only way youll know your BPs temperment is by adding new fish and watching how it reacts. good luck.

It seems that temperment with these range from extremely mild to extremely aggressive, probably due to the fact that they aren't real cichlids. I agree with chris, a 30 gallon doesn't leave much room either way, but you can probably get away with a tough tetra, like congos.

I keep mine with Angels, Gouramis and Corydoras........previously also with Silver Dollars.

He does head butt :rofl: his mates now and again, but to no avail :lol: . He is actually sweetest to my Corydoras.........uses them to kick up food for him! I think that growing up together may be the key to less fighting in tanks, sometimes :crazy: !! My 3 Spot Blue Gourami kicks his @$$ everytime though :lol: !!

PS......How are things working out so far??

Silver
:*

HI,
I Have two Parrott fsh that are constantly breeding at the moment, they are mixed with silver dollars, geophagus ( which are really unusual looking and eyecatching ) 5 coral platies ( nice bright orange ) and some mollies which come in lots of different variaties if you want some colour difference, they are only moody when protecting the eggs and fry, normally they all get on really happy,
Have fun choosing

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back