Bloated Stomach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you do, it won't be because of the filter.

Do you have any Epsom salt? Mix two level tea spoons into some aquarium water and then add to the fish tank. I would recommend doing a 50% w/c just before adding the salt. If you do a water change, make sure to use a dechlorinator.

Please go and have your water tested at the fish shop, then write down all the results, I have a bad feeling that you might have a lot of ammonia and nitrite in your tank.

I did a test on friday, and they said it looked fine. The filter is in now. It was pushing him around the tank quite a lot and he was looking very stressed. I moved it to the back of the tank as per the shops advice, and its better, but everytime he gets into that side of the tank, he has to fight to get away as the current tries to push him.

I fed him and he was fine, very hungry, no loss of appetite. All i can say is he looks stressed and hes swimming A LOT more. Im worried about when he gets into that corner of the tank he has to fight to get away from the current.

I know you did a test on Friday, but an "it looks fine" from a fish shop can easily mean "your fish is being quickly poisoned to death". If they don't tell you exactly what the readings are, they're probably trying to hide something.

Which filter is it? If it adjustable, you should be able to turn it right down to reduce the flow.

Why would they be trying to hide it though?

The filter had a cap that you can put on the front that directs the flow to the top of the water. Ive put that on, rodney seems to be happier but hes still not liking the corner too much, he gets stuck and then fights to swim away. Apart from that, some relatives who saw him say he looks fine to them, swimming fine, the only reason you could tell he was ill was cause of the stomach.

Hes swimming a lot, like i say he does look fine normally but when he gets near that filter he wants to move and gets stuck trying to do it. You cant change the air flow power but its literally being directed upwards, its not hitting the fish at all, he can probably just feel the air flow.

Generally trying to hide their lack of knowledge.

Ah. lol. Well im doing everything i can for this fish at the moment, im really trying. I know nothing about fish and ive been thrown in at the deep end. Will the filter cause stress for the fish or will it be alright? Like i say, other people seem to think the fish is happy and definitely more active. But without the fish actually being able to tell me, im worried.

He starts swimming towards the filter and then realises its pushing him so he desperately tries to turn around and then swims away. Maybe the filter should be moved? Its in the corner at the moment.

Which model is the filter? Who manufactured it? If it is rated for a 30 litre aquarium, then it should be fine, just have the outlet right at the top so it disturbs the surface most.

I cant find out who makes it right now, but its for a 30 litre one yeah. Its pointing upwards. Im hoping it isnt bothering him. Its so hard to know what im doing right and what im doing wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Back