bloated platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i had a pair of platys they had 19 babies and 15 survived. the parents are now dead, i gave 14 toPetco. i have 4 left. one was born with a deformed back. now she is a big round ball. i see poo coming out of her anus. the other 3 seem ok
what i did yesterday is change water and wipe the inside of plastic five gallon tank with soft cloth only to realize i had sprayed some Target disinfectant spray on it yesterday. it was dry and i mistook it for clean. what now?

ps iā€™m new and probably too lengthy in my text?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the sick fish?

If the fish ballooned up last night after the water change, and is gasping at the surface or breathing heavily, then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a couple of weeks. This will dilute any chemicals in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the scales are sticking out sideways from the body then the fish's internal organs (kidneys & liver) have been damaged and it might die. Big daily water changes should help but it will need time to recover, assuming it is going to.

You can add some Activated Carbon or Highly Activated Carbon to the filter and replace it every couple of days. The carbon will absorb the chemicals out of the water.
You get carbon from any petshop and it should be rinsed under tap water to remove any dust before being put into the filter.

thanks Colin
my poor fish is beyond the size of pregnant platy iā€™ve seen in pictures!
hereā€™s a pic from today.

Attachments

• 87A87FE3-AA3D-46F3-B0CD-5109B908C089.jpeg
    87A87FE3-AA3D-46F3-B0CD-5109B908C089.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 191
Definitely not normal. Do big daily water changes and add carbon if you can. Then wait and hope for the best.

If you keep fish you should get a couple of plastic buckets for water changes and write "FISH ONLY" on them and use them purely for the fish. You can get a clean soap free sponge and keep that in your fish buckets along with a basic model gravel cleaner (like in the following link) and that will help prevent this happening again.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

If you buy a cheap brand of sponge they are less likely to have anything in them and check the packaging. You just want a plain old boring sponge with nothing else. When you get the new sponge wash it with warm soapy water (use perfume free soap) and then rinse well before putting it in your fish bucket.

Good luck and fins crossed that the fish recovers :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back