Bloated Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chris Dubya

Reaction score
One of my fish (Comet/Goldfish Cross) which is apporx 10 years old, is getting very fat on a daily basis. It has been "Large" for a long time but now appears to be growing to a point where I think it might explode !
It swims well, it feeds well (always first to the food) but now looks like it has grown to a point where its scales appear to be standing proud.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what is going on with this fish? Or has the time come to put it out of is discomfort (assuming that it is suffering)? :sad:

Sounds like Dropsy to me. Dropsy is caused by either organ failure or enviromental factors; ecessive sodium chloride levels, high nitrate levels, bacteria, or poor unsuitable diet. Interpet #9 can help in some cases, broad spectrum antibiotic may also help. However, it is unlikely the fish will be cured and euthanasia may have to be considered.

its scales appear to be standing proud.
like pinecones?? --->
Samanthas_Chit_w_Dropsy_GT.jpg
dropsy.jpg

if it's like that, then it's dropsy. However, I once had a fish - comet/goldfish cross, who after years and years suddenly had a growth spurt and developed pearlscales. He was a fat fishy too...

Thank you for your replies and advice. Much as I expected and I think our fish is beyond any recovery from anti-biotics, so can anyone advise on the kindest way to despatch it off to "fishy heaven"?

we had a fish like that we had to kill :no: try alchol then chop its head of.

depends on the size of the fish i suppose,

i dona a pals fish last week with a couple of bricks.. not nice, but quick..

if i had a biggun up the spout, id get somthing from a vet..

Not sure I like the 2 bricks idea but thanks anyway.

I've had two other suggestions, one was to put the fish in a bucket of pond water with some Oil of Cloves added which apparently sends the fish to sleep.....add some more oil as it get's sleepier. The second was to put it in a container in a fridge or even a freezer which as the water gets colder, sends the fish off to sleep.

Any thoughts?

Regards,............Chris

BTW, the fish is still going strong and eating very well......

DO NOT put the fish in the freezer or cold water... it's very traumatic for the fish... a horrible way to die...

I had a goldfish with dropsy, so I caught it in a net, put it in two plastic bags, went outside, and smack it a couple times against the garage. Not very nice either, but I didn't really have anything else, and I didn't want to chop its head off.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back