Bloated Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish are AWE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My goldfish got bloat recently and idk what to do. I've put epsom salt in the tank and checked the ph often. The ph a few weeks ago was neutral but then now the water became acidic again. What should i do? My tank is about 100litres and it has 4 goldfish. The bloated one is alive but just floats upsidedown on the top of the water.

Is your fish a fantail?

Use pure bicarb soda (used for cooking) to up the PH, only need to add a little and it works really well. Remember to only add a tiny bit at a time (to avoid PH shock or overdosing) and keep testing to check if you have reached the desired PH level. Check nitrates are not above 35ppm, if they are do lots of water changes to bring it down. High nitrates often affect the PH.

Your fish seems to be suffering from something called Swim Bladder disease, I believe. A friend of mine has a fish with it but it's doing very well now. Here is a list of things that helped her fish...

1)Put a heater in and set it to 22c: this helps the fish to poop more, floating is often a sign they are blocked up! Fancy Goldfish can live happily at 22c but you will have to clean the filter more regularly, and make sure the tank is well aerated as warmer water has less oxygen. It would be better to get a heater which has a protective cover, such as a rena heater, as if the fish is floating by it the fish doesn't want to run the risk of getting brunt.
2)Cut feeding to every other day, you might be feeding too much or the fish maybe very greedy!
3)Dose with epsom salt (see you are doing that already)
4)Add GREENS to your fishies diet:
Cooked peas (squish the peas, feed the middles, and discards the shells)
Algae Wafers (to get the fish interested in them as food feed as the only food for a few days then mix with regular food twice a week).
Spirulina flakes (mix with reguar food ... can get these on ebay)

Those are all good thigns to try; you could also try lowering the water level, if your filter will allow you to do that.

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate? When did you last water change? Your tank is quite overstocked, bearing in mind that even for two goldies you should have something like 120l

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back