Bloated fish

Flubendazole kills nematode worms (eg camallanus worms) not bacteria. In the UK we cannot buy antibiotics such as metronidazole over the counter, we can only get much milder (ie less effective) treatments such as eSHa 2000 (ethacridine lactate, copper sulphate and proflavine hemisulphate)

Flubendazole kills nematode worms (eg camallanus worms) not bacteria. In the UK we cannot buy antibiotics such as metronidazole over the counter, we can only get much milder (ie less effective) treatments such as eSHa 2000 (ethacridine lactate, copper sulphate and proflavine hemisulphate)
Thank you Essjay,

I will look up eSHa 2000. Have you used this in the past yourself?

I have used it but not for internal infections, only when a betta had fin rot that wouldn't clear up with water changes.

I have used it but not for internal infections, only when a betta had fin rot that wouldn't clear up with water changes.

Sounds like i havent got a lot of options so i might give it ago. Got to try something

Thanks Essjay

20190727_215746.jpg

Hi TTF,

Not sure if im dealing with a bacteria infection or internal parasite with my rainbows.

2 (1m 1f) are bloated so ive treated with aeSHa 2000 for a bacteria infection but other rainbows which arent bloated like in above pic are now pooping what i would say a brownish white poop.

Would they do this if they had a bacteria infection or should i start to treat with some Flubendazole for worms??

Not sure if my LFS has a problem with this because i purchased 6 of my rainbows the same day i got a small BN pleco for my smaller tank and i found he had some kind parasite/worms infection a week later. This is leading me to think the rainbows might have the same.

P.s if i need to treat with Flubendazole, can i do it straight away with me just finishing a course of aeSHa 2000?

Thank you

If the fish have not been treated for intestinal worms, then treat them. However, do not mix medications. Wait until you have finished the full course of the Esha treatment, then do a couple of big water changes, then deworm the fish.

As you are in the UK, the meds you need are eSHa-ndx which contains levamisole and treats round worms, and eSHa gdex which contains praziquantel and treats flat worms. But NOT at the same time.

As you are in the UK, the meds you need are eSHa-ndx which contains levamisole and treats round worms, and eSHa gdex which contains praziquantel and treats flat worms. But NOT at the same time.
Thanks for that Essjay,

Ive been using Flubendazole on my small tank because ive not been able to find praziquantel in my lfs. Im not yet convinced its fully worked.

Ill get some ordered. How can you tell if they have round or flat worms? Is it just a case of treating for both or is there a way of telling?

How can you tell if they have round or flat worms? Is it just a case of treating for both or is there a way of telling?
Sometimes you can see small red or white hair like things (a couple of mm long) sticking out the fish's butt. But normally you just treat for all worms. Thread/ round worms are more common but tapeworm are still found in fish. And gill flukes are on most fish. Praziquantel treats gill flukes and tapeworm. Levamisole does some of the more common thread/ round worms.

Sometimes you can see small red or white hair like things (a couple of mm long) sticking out the fish's butt. But normally you just treat for all worms. Thread/ round worms are more common but tapeworm are still found in fish. And gill flukes are on most fish. Praziquantel treats gill flukes and tapeworm. Levamisole does some of the more common thread/ round worms.
Right ok. Essjay mentioned Flubendazole kills nematode worms (eg camallanus worms) are these tapeworm or thread/round worms? Or another vartiey.

Im going to order both treatments but could you clear something up for me first please. Is Flubendazole an alternative to Praziquantel or Levamisole? Or something totally different?

Id like to try the treatment whats least like flubendazole first if that makes sense.

Actually, I said that in the UK eSHa-ndx contains levamisole ;)

Kusuri wormer plus contains flubendazole.

Actually, I said that in the UK eSHa-ndx contains levamisole ;)

Kusuri wormer plus contains flubendazole.
Im going off one of your earlier responces Essjay (#46)
Im going to order some esha -ndx and eSHa gdex but was just wondering which to try first having already tried flubendazole.

Ah OK. That was my reply to your question asking about flubendazole. Looking again at wormer plus it says it kills 'helminths' and helminth is a collective term for flatworms, round worms and flukes.

Many years ago my fish were infected with camallanus worms. I researched on line and came up with flubendazole, fenbendazole and levamisole as medications to use. Some sites recommended one, some another. The only one of those I could find was flubendazole, as Kusuri Wormer Plus. I followed the instructions to the letter but it didn't get rid of them. What did get rid of them was Sera Nematol, which doesn't contain any of those medications. Since then, eSHa have brought out ndx which I would have used had it been available.

Ah OK. That was my reply to your question asking about flubendazole. Looking again at wormer plus it says it kills 'helminths' and helminth is a collective term for flatworms, round worms and flukes.

Many years ago my fish were infected with camallanus worms. I researched on line and came up with flubendazole, fenbendazole and levamisole as medications to use. Some sites recommended one, some another. The only one of those I could find was flubendazole, as Kusuri Wormer Plus. I followed the instructions to the letter but it didn't get rid of them. What did get rid of them was Sera Nematol, which doesn't contain any of those medications. Since then, eSHa have brought out ndx which I would have used had it been available.
eSHa ndx is my first port of call first then i think.
Ill purchase some gdex aswell so i have that as back up and ive got it if i need it in the future then.

Thank you for your help Essjay :)

Camallanus are round/ thread worms. Tapeworms are white or semi transparent and flat, and have segments.

Flubendazole can be used instead of Praziquantel and Levamisole.

Most reactions

Back