Blister on pleco?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Kinda New Fish Guy

Reaction score
I noticed a small blister-like sore on the top of my pleco's head. This just appeared a couple of days ago. He's in a 30 Gal tank with another small bottom feeder (1-1/2" long) and a bleeding heart tetra. They've been in this tank together for about a couple of years without any trouble. I do a water change about every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks and treat with Hagen Cycle about every 2 weeks. Any ideas on what this may be? I'm starting to worry about the little guy.

It's white to almost clear. It's looks like a little white bubble coming out of his skin. That's the best way I can describe it.

probably the begining of a bacterial ulcer. I would give him a bath in an antibiotic treatment like maracyn-two for a few days. it could also be skin flukes. seperate the fish from the rest when you do this as there is no need to add the stress of medication to your healty fish. can you post a picture of the fish?

what are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? also temp would be good.

SEE ULCERS and SEE FLUKES

Tanked said:
probably the begining of a bacterial ulcer. I would give him a bath in an antibiotic treatment like maracyn-two for a few days. it could also be skin flukes. seperate the fish from the rest when you do this as there is no need to add the stress of medication to your healty fish. can you post a picture of the fish?

what are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? also temp would be good.

SEE ULCERS and SEE FLUKES
I can't post a picture but the first description on this page (under "virus") sounds exactly what he has - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/f...shparasites.htm .

I did some water testing and everything is well within acceptable limits as it always is. The water temp is at 76. I never seem to have any variation in the conditions of the tank and the fish have always been healthy. Thanks for the replies.

Nope, no salt. I haven't changed a thing. Just the usual maintenance. The "sore" doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better.

He may have banged his head on something, we have a small Firemouth Cichlid that ended up with a blister on his lip that we figure was caused by banging into(or biting) a rock, it went away in a couple of weeks though.

could this have been caused by heater burn? they sell things like guards for heaters stateing that fish often burn themselves on the heater if there is no explanaition then perhaps this is what happened.. :/ anyway get well soon little fishey :alien:

Most reactions

Back