Blackdown Tablelands Queensland Australia

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
We recently went on an outing to Blackdown Tablelands in Centeral Queensland to see mainly what types of aquatic life where in the waterways up there and also check out the scenery.
There has been very little rain in the area of late which severly reduced the water in many of the creeks and waterfalls, some areas where even completely dry. This lack of rain and the recent controlled burns the park rangers had been carrying out over the past month or so might have been the reason for the lack of general wildlife, with only a few birds seen and heard. On many of the walking tracks and even on the 4WD trail we stopped frequently to hear complete silence with not even a cicada calling. Although on the track down to Rainbow falls we did hear whipbirds.
There where some wild flowers flowering but even they where few and far between.

First view of the Blackdown Tablelands
P1120634_zps6egv76hu.jpg

One of the first creeks crossed on one of the walks
P1120692_zpsxofaamw4.jpg

Some lovely little Sundews growing on the edges of the creeks
P1120703_zpsvafxgvhu.jpg

Some Possible fissiden
P1120723_zpsmzuuebv1.jpg

Small waterfall
P1120791_zps4aoz9baj.jpg

Almost all of the waterways I looked in where nearly devoid of aquatic plant life which in turn I suspect reduced the chances of seeing any fish, snails or shrimp. What I did see where Water Skaters, Water Boatsmen, and in one place some HUGE tadpoles.
P1120698_zpssrcinjwa.jpg

This area was called Mook Mook

Look closely and you will see some of the tadpoles living in these holes that would normally have water rushing over them
P1120740_zpsqxkxatss.jpg

This was taken underneath one of the sections of what is normally waterfall
P1120766_zps0j5um7is.jpg

Some of the wildflowers
P1120768_zpscql9jevz.jpg

P1120672_zps7rjrfvor.jpg

P1120773_zpss51smb1r.jpg

P1120678_zpsq6bnuurm.jpg

Tree fern at the bottom of Rainbow Falls
P1120810_zpsqbnkgbyf.jpg

Rainbow Falls
P1120800_zps2xan0ncu.jpg

P1120807_zpsl9fz6tga.jpg

The crystal clear COLD water at the bottom of Rainbow Falls was a welcome relief to hot tired feet. We could have stayed longer but we could see some dark storm clouds starting to build and we did not fancy being stuck at the bottom of a few hundred near vertical stairs in a sudden down pour, or a soaked 2km walk back to the car.

There was the odd butterfly fluttering about but by far we saw more of these gorgeous little Dragons
P1120675_zpsgfris7h5.jpg

View from Mitha Boongulla lookout
P1120831_zpssvwz2xnt.jpg

Even with the lack of wildlife and Aquatic plants and creatures it was an enjoyable day. Strongly recommend solid walk shoes (most of the tracks had a near ballbearing shaped/ sized pebble over them which could be very slippery), plenty of water both cold for drinking and warm water for washing hands etc, a 4WD is a must for Mitha Boongulla lookout and take your own food for lunch and snacks. The walk down to the bottom of Rainbow Falls was well worth it but the climb back up was leg killing, only attempt it if you are relatively fit and sturdy on your legs.
There is just so much stunning scenery it is near impossible to select all the best photos, especially since there are some beautiful rocky outcrops and vistas.
P1120797_zpsez7i7k1y.jpg

And lastly I had to include the first creature I saw at the top of Blackdown Tablelands, is it an Ant or a Spider?
P1120663_zpsm9qosyyq.jpg

Hint Ant pretending to be a spider.

Nice photos, Hope you enjoyed the trip. No new critters for the aquarium?

No new critters for the aquarium, it was a national park so no take unless you have a permit. By the time we headed home it was too late to check any of the creeks/ rivers on the way.
I will be going on other field trips, and hopefully I will find some interesting things for my tanks.

Great pictures, love it.

I will definitely have to make a trip to go down under and see these wonderful scenery and wildlife before too long.

Expensive though, should be well worth it I reckon.

I will definitely have to make a trip to go down under and see these wonderful scenery and wildlife before too long.

Just for Charlie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

Hah, the vegemite was actually the scariest thing on that vid :lol:

I'd actually love to see all of these in the wild, honestly, love that sort of thing. Though the other half would certainly object to that :x

To see all that Australia has to offer from the cold green mountians of Tasmania to the arid red centre and north to the humid tropics you need at least a year or a lifetime. Forget seeing Australia in hours it literally takes days, for example to go from my home to Kuranda in far north Queensland it took 13 hrs and I never left the one huge state of Queensland.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back