Black Poop

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

DeadlyAlliance

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just looked at my fishes and the 2 female mollies are pooing black poop. is this normal i think that they have been pregant for some time could this have anything to do with that. Also i bought some live plants could they have eating anything from the plants that would cause this. Any help is great Thax.

I was just about to post a message and read your message first. is it pooing loads of black poo, one after the other constantly? If so it may be that it is 'mis-carrying'. Click on my name and check all my posts. I posted something similar a while ago about my sword tail. Read the reply that I got.

No they just did it once and i couldnt find their reply to your post. I think that they are prgenant because they are big and square and where they poop is sort of like out and open. I try not to mess with them by putting them in a breder because i know that that will stress them out so i just let them swim around if they are pregant i know i might lose my fry. I have had them for like almost a month now so should i wait for them just to be sure that they are pregant because when i fist got them they where not pregant at least i dont think.Also can you recomend live plants that i can put in the tank. Thanx for your help.

Is it possible that they have already started giving birth?

I don't know much about mollies, but I noticed that after a couple of my female guppies gave birth, nearly all my guppies had long black poos. From this I deduced that they get long black poos after they've eaten fries.

I keep my guppies in a well planted tank and they give birth in the tank. I've still got 15 surviving guppies, but otherwise I'd probably have 60 or more, which I just couldn't cope with.

Oh yes, plantwise - I've got one plant in my tank that the fry love. Sadly I've got no idea what it's called, but it's got long brush like needle stems that the fry can squeeze in between when a predator is around. I'm sure someone else can recommend a plant by name, but I would have thought that any dense growing plant with lots of stems would do the job.

I think I paid £1.50 for it a month ago and it's now probably 4 times its original size.

I've found that after about 10 days the adult guppies don't attempt to eat the fry anyway, but I don't know much about mollies.

I think some people put live moss on, which is also very good, but I don't think it grows very quickly.

Kathryn

if the guppies pooped black when they ate the fry that might be the same deal with the mollies i would think but im not sure :flex:

Most reactions

Back