Black phantom and Panda corys dead

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Antoine Smith

Reaction score
I recently purchased 6 black phantom tetras three of which of now dead. I also purchased five panda corys two of which are now dead. I went to my lfs and they did every test on my water they could think of and everything was good they even examined the fish bodies. It totally stumped them and they even talked to other fish store owners. There was no evidence of ick.

My tank is a 50 gallon low tech planted with an aqua clear 110.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate very little under 5ppm
Phosphate and all water parameters were good.

Do you have your own test kit?
LFS's tend to be the superior liars of water quality. Good usually means:
Ammonia: 10ppm
Nitrate: 100000000ppm
Nitrite: 20ppm
Etc

I do have my own test kit and have tested the basics nitrate, amnonia, nitrite, ph etc. The lfs owner is a friend of mine and I do trust him. @DutchMuch

Alright Antoine Smith,
We need more information on this or else we cant answer your question/problem. What symptoms did your fish have before death?

My panda corys were slow moving and did not scurry around the bottom as much as I would have expected them to. They were also relatively new about a week I'm the tank. As for the black phantoms they seemed to be very healthy and showed no signs of poor health. The dead fish showed no signs of amnonia burn or ick. Sorry for the little information and thanks for all your help. @DutchMuch

Adapting cories and characins to a new environment is not at all easy. By which I mean they are extremely sensitive to water conditions and acclimation sometimes has to be taken slow. We need to explore this.

How did you acclimate them? Did you do any tests of the bag water to compare with the tank water?

What are your numbers for pH and GH (hardness) if you know them? The GH of your source water (i.e., check with the municipal water authority if you don't have tests) will help. Shock from a significant difference in pH, GH or TDS can occur.

Are the tanks of these fish in the store OK now? Any dead or dying fish (you may have to ask them if they had losses). How long have they had these fish? Transport for fish is severely stressful, and cories are especially prone to ammonia poisoning, or death from severe stress from release of their own toxin.

Were the problems apparent from the start, or gradual?

Answer what you can from the above.

Byron.

Based from the information you have given me above I think the only possible explanation would be stress from transport. All of my water parameters are where they should be but my acclimation was just floating the bag. Would you recommend the drip method for the future? My ph is quite high at 7.8, I use drift wood to stabilize it. As far as the condition of the corys when I got them I don't know because I got them from big als which is two hours away. The loss was gradual as I lost one fish at the start and a couple about a week or so after I purchased them.
Thanks for all your help @Byron

Based from the information you have given me above I think the only possible explanation would be stress from transport. All of my water parameters are where they should be but my acclimation was just floating the bag. Would you recommend the drip method for the future? My ph is quite high at 7.8, I use drift wood to stabilize it. As far as the condition of the corys when I got them I don't know because I got them from big als which is two hours away. The loss was gradual as I lost one fish at the start and a couple about a week or so after I purchased them.
Thanks for all your help @Byron

The stress caused to fish that are chased around the store tank, netted, bagged, transported home, then placed in a completely new/different environment is severe. It triggers the "escape from predator" response, and this is as severe as stress can get to a fish. Obviously we cannot eliminate all this stress, but we can take steps to minimize it.

My method for acclimating new fish involves floating the bag for 10-15 minutes to equalize temperature. Sometimes I carefully remove some of the bag water first, depending how much there is, so that I can mix tank water in after the temp has evened out. I then add some tank water to the bag, maybe a cup, sometimes less depending upon the delicacy of the species. I let this mix for 15-20 minutes, then add another cup of tank water. I might do this three or four times, again depending upon the species. Then I net the fish out of the bag into the tank. Never pour water from the bag into the tank; there may well be pathogens in the water you do not want in your tank. This process I do in my QT tank. Some people use a drip method, dumping the bag (water and fish) into a pail, then dripping tank water into the pail for a couple hours, then net out the fish into the tank.

Some will say the above mixing of tank/bag waters is not needed, and once temperature is equal, net the fish into the tank. I've always taken the time to do the mixing.

How you transport fish is important too. I have a small cooler that has two important advantages: it maintains the temperature (avoiding cooling in winter and heating in summer) and it also keeps the fish in the dark. This latter is more important than many realize; fish in darkness are more relaxed.

Stress can harm the fish's physiology, and even if fish seem to live through this, it has taken its toll and it may be weeks and even months before the fish suddenly dies. At the very least, stress weakens the immune system, and this means the fish may succumb to some disease down the road that it would normally be able to fend off.

The pH of 7.8 is not too bad, but the more important parameter is the hardness. The GH directly impacts fish metabolism and physiology, and the related KH (Alkalinity) can too. These also impact pH.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back