Black Molly --> White Stuff Around Eyes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eddied316

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, I jsut got home from work, and went to feed my fish, and I noticed one of my Black Mollies at the bottom of the tank, and She had "White Stuff" around both her eyes, and is not very energetic..

HELP :/ :(

No, My Mollies are in Freshwater, and I heard that You should add 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons of water, but I also have 2 rainbow sharks, and dont want them to die because of it..

Ill watch her closely, and see what happenes

I teaspoon of salt per gallon isn't going to kill your rainbow sharks, though they won't be particularly happy about it. Sadly, and I hate saying this, your molly will likely die if all you are prepared to do is just watch the fish closely. Fish rarely get better from skin infections any more than athlete's foot on humans "just goes away" by itself. At the very least, go buy some suitable fungus/fin-rot medication.

Yet another victim of the "mollies are freshwater fish" nonsense. Some of them are, maybe, but a lot aren't, and the only 100% safe way to keep them is in brackish. I don't know why fish shops refuse to tell buyers this. Well, I know why, I just don't understand it.

Cheers,

Neale

Wow.

I wasn't planning on just watching her die. It wasn't like that at all.

I just wasnt sure about the sharks in the tank, so forgive me for that.

You did'nt have to jump down my throat, that's why I came here, to ASK the questions. Not to be "yelled" at for not knowing.

But thanks anyway.

Well you basically said you're not going to do anything to keep your mollies healthy.. and ''see what happens'' AKA watch it die.

So you can see why people will be jumping down your throat.

What the heck??

No I didn't...I was asking about the sharks in the tank, before I go out and buy all this stuff.

Why would I jsut let her die, if I caught it in time, when I can still do somthing about it...you must have misunderstood me.

ANYWAY, I'm really not here to argue with you, I just wanted to know what to do.

Honestly, I want you do enjoy coming here and I want you to feel free to ask for advice. It's up to you to take it or leave it, of course. So let's not get off on the wrong foot. I apologise if my message seemed rude to you. That wasn't my intention. All I meant was that if you don't do anything, the fish will likely die, no matter how carefully you watch it.

Unfortunately it is all too common for people to end up with essentially incompatible fish. Rainbow sharks and mollies shouldn't be kept in the same aquarium. They have different requirements. Over the long term, you need to choose which you prefer, and buy fishes suited to that fish. If you like the mollies, then get hard water/brackish water species, like guppies, rainbowfish, halfbeaks, glassfish, or gobies. If you like the rainbow sharks better, then rasboras, gouramis, Corydoras, and angelfish would all be suitable.

Cheers,

Neale

Thank You, and I've been learning alot about the Mollies, so Ill keep them. I only got the sharks because how they looked. never saw, red and black fish before.

Do you think the LFS would take them?

Mollies are among my very favourite fish, especially black mollies. They're pretty, nicely behaved, and have a unique look to them. Red-tail and rainbow sharks are also nice, but they're a bit aggressive, especially when older, so I tend not to keep them. I would imagine that any LFS would trade them in. Usually you can swap fish if you ask nicely. Petsmart type places won't, but the nice mom-and-pop places usually do. It's worth ringing around before schlepping the fish out there.

What's your pH and hardness? Mollies must be kept at pH 7.5 and the water must be hard. Salt is negotiable, pH and hardness are not. Also add some anti-fungal potion (for that is almost certainly the problem). In the absence of salt, anti-fungus remedy will help a great deal. Also, be sure and check your thermostat: mollies like it on the warm side, ideally around 26-28 C. If they're cooler, they're also more sensitive to disease.

Cheers,

Neale

Thank You, and I've been learning alot about the Mollies, so Ill keep them. I only got the sharks because how they looked. never saw, red and black fish before.

Do you think the LFS would take them?

Thanks for all the Tips...

I do not know what my pH or hardness is.

I'm running to the pet store here in a few to pick up the stuff I need :D

How quickly does your kettle "fur" up? Or limescale appear on the bathroom sink? If quickly, then you have hard water. If never, you have soft water.

While not especially accurate, the little dip strips with pH, hardness, nitrite, and nitrate colour patches on them are good value. You can cut them down the middle to make two tests from each strip, which is even better. Well worth having.

Cheers,

Neale

I do not know what my pH or hardness is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back