Black molly found in pieces in aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My friend has 40 gallon tank and he told me his black molly is lost in aquarium. So we started to remove small stones and after some time we found two pieces of molly one piece is from his end of dorsal fin to starting point of tail and other is very small piece. Other portion of his body is missing. There are mollies, swordtails, gaint danios, platies available in tank.
Im confused with this incident. There are no any aggressive fish then how can this happened?

The most likely explanation is that the molly died, and the other fish began eating it. This is normal. The cause of its death is worth exploring. You haven't indicated how many of each species are in this tank, and it well may be overcrowded. Male livebearers will drive females very hard, to the point of death, which is why males and females need to be in a ratio of more females to males, depending upon the tank space and the species. Swordtails need much more space around them than platies, and mollies do as well.

The most likely explanation is that the molly died, and the other fish began eating it. This is normal. The cause of its death is worth exploring. You haven't indicated how many of each species are in this tank, and it well may be overcrowded. Male livebearers will drive females very hard, to the point of death, which is why males and females need to be in a ratio of more females to males, depending upon the tank space and the species. Swordtails need much more space around them than platies, and mollies do as well.
I gaint danios 4, mollies 8 (4 males were there now 3 remaining) died one was smaller than other mollies, swordtails 5, platy 6

I gaint danios 4, mollies 8 (4 males were there now 3 remaining) died one was smaller than other mollies, swordtails 5, platy 6

There are some issues here that your friend needs to consider.

This tank is not sufficient space for the five swordtails even without the other fish. Swordtails should grow to four to five inches, though six inches is possible; females will be a bit larger than males. Being a fairly active swimming fish, they need space and length of the tank is important. With five, I would recommend a four-foot (120 cm) length tank. I know the fish may be small now, but they grow continually and need sufficient space around them to develop properly. This is the physical space, but also the water quality determined by that physical space; either can negatively impact the fish's development.

Mollies...also need space, but here the issue is more gender. Three males will be continually driving the four females, and this can seriously weaken the females and they will usually not last long. If you remove the other fish, you could increase the females...up to a point, but keep in mind that females will produce regular (monthly approximately) batches of fry, and you will have dozens and even hundreds before very long; they cannot all be eaten.

The Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus) grows to at least four inches, but can reach five and six inches. It needs a larger group, at least eight, but it also need a larger tank, at minimum a 4-foot (120 cm).

Thank you. Ill tell him to remove swordtails and suggest him for more female mollies

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back