Black Ghost Knifefish An Red Tail/finned Shark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can't seem to find any committed answer or opinion on here or the wider web. Just wanting people's personal experience or advice ? I've got a BGK, bought him at about 3" and now he is about 6". Had a red tail shark a few years ago that I loved to bits so would like to have one again.

The question is as they both need caves/hiding places and both seem to be bottom dwellers, would they get on ?

Cheers all

I'm not sure if they even like the same water parameters, but I would not have these two together. The shark can be aggressive. The knife, though not classically aggressive, has a habit of eating that which fits in its mouth. Since the shark will be coming in later than the knife and the knife is already six inches, you'll have some risk of the new fish being eaten. Another concern is tank size. BGKs need very large tanks around 150 as the minimum. The red tail needs to have a decent setup.

What size tank have you got? And what other fish do you have?

I would agree that this is not a good combination.  And I also concur that both fish have some specific needs in respect of the size and environment (layout, aquascape, etc).

Byron.

Just to add, two distinctly different species living together in the same water strata is usually a formula for disaster. Not trying to discourage you (since this is how you learn from mistakes) but it would be better if you get them their own separate tanks housed with fish living in the same locality than risk the well-being of two great fish species :)

Sorry about the late reply, I got a 60 gallon 4ft tank. By the sounds of what you say mate ive been misssold a BGK :( I'd love to have multiple tanks but literally don't have the space. I am however looking to upgrade to a 6ft/8ft tank once I've done my bathroom. The other fish in the tank are Gouramis, Cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras and giant danios. I understand that when the BGK gets bigger he may have a pop at the smaller species so will move them to the works tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back