Black Convict And Pink Convict Bred

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dcj38

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well the question is in the title really, with the black con being the dad and the pink con being the mom, does anyone know what these fry will look like wen they are actually fish?

They'll most likely be all black :)

more than likly there will be a large majority of black cons. there is also a possibility of some coming out as "calicos" which isn't really seen as a hybird in the fish world.

more than likly there will be a large majority of black cons. there is also a possibility of some coming out as "calicos" which isn't really seen as a hybird in the fish world.
It is possible that you could have half black and half pink.... but i think the pink colouration is a recessive trait so you would get about 20% pink and the rest black.... It's been a while since i took BIO but i think you would either get one or the other.... If you want pink offspring and you dont get it from the first batch of fry, you could always breed the pink parent fish with one of its children. That would increase the number of pink convicts you'd get.

If pink is simple recessive (I dunno about con genetics) then you will either get all blacks, or 50% black 50% pink, depending on if the black parent carries the gene. I'm pretty sure the marble/calico trait is controlled by a different (but also recessive) gene altogether, so you're not going to see that unless both parents are carrying it, and they're most likely not.

If you happened to read what i just posted ignore it as i was incorrect. I read that the pink trait was recessive. That means that a Pink X Black Convict has two possible outcomes. None of the offspring pink or 25% of the offspring pink ( it all depends on whether the black convict carries the recessive pink trait ). If you Did a Pure Black con x Pink you would get no pink convicts from the fry but they would carry the recessive Pink trait. You would then be able to mate the pink parent with one of its offspring to have 50% black and 50% pink. If you decided to mate 2 of the children instead you would get 75% of the fry black and 25% of them pink. If you mate a pink with a pink you will always get a pink. This is correct from what i can remember..... like i said it's been a while since i took BIO. As for Calicos i dont think that is possible since the black trait is dominant to the pink trait. To have a calico you would have to have 2 equally dominant traits which would create codominance or a mixture of both black and pink characteristics.

As for Calicos i dont think that is possible since the black trait is dominant to the pink trait. To have a calico you would have to have 2 equally dominant traits which would create codominance or a mixture of both black and pink characteristics.
Codominance is not the only factor that can contribute to two genes being equally expressed, that would be too easy :lol:! Epistasis, the interaction between multiple genes, also plays a role with some traits. Calico cons do indeed exist, and this is because some cons carry a gene for marbled colouration. The black on them is marbled, so the skin tone (like in pink cons) shows through. Like I said in my other post, the marble gene is also recessive and you don't come across marbled cons very often, so there probably aren't going to be any marble babies showing up.

And another:
http://www.cichlidnewsmagazine.com/issues/...ges/page37c.jpg

As for Calicos i dont think that is possible since the black trait is dominant to the pink trait. To have a calico you would have to have 2 equally dominant traits which would create codominance or a mixture of both black and pink characteristics.
Codominance is not the only factor that can contribute to two genes being equally expressed, that would be too easy :lol:! Epistasis, the interaction between multiple genes, also plays a role with some traits. Calico cons do indeed exist, and this is because some cons carry a gene for marbled colouration. The black on them is marbled, so the skin tone (like in pink cons) shows through. Like I said in my other post, the marble gene is also recessive and you don't come across marbled cons very often, so there probably aren't going to be any marble babies showing up.

And another:
http://www.cichlidnewsmagazine.com/issues/...ges/page37c.jpg
Perhaps I should have worded it better... As for Calicos i dont think that it is likely between the average black or pink convict as it would be a different genetic trait showing through all together.... like i stated it's been a while since bio and im no scientist, i should not have said it was entirely impossible, just unlikely in his situation. :p

You're right about that Dom, it's unlikely in this case :)

some will be black and some will be pink. I had two pairs mate multible times ending up with over a thousand cons. I had no special marked or new colors no original colors just the same old cons.

I suggest if at all possible, avoid breeding them at all, nobody will take them, will be impossible to keep, you will have to kill them. BIGGEST mistake I ever made, and I have quite large multible tanks.

I disagree... Breeding convicts can not only be very fun and exciting especially for the beginner but it also contributes to the hobby (less fish need to be taken from the wild and it works as a stepping stone for breeding more challenging species of fish). They aren't hard to get rid of at all really most LFS will gadly take them for you as long as ur not asking for tons of $$$. The fry can also be used as feeders 4 other fish (i give em to my bettas/oscars/etc.).

I have no idea where you live, but in PA. U.S.A . LFS tell me, convicts are the only fish they will not take for free!!!

Very few fish are taken from the wild anymore. Common fish like these are bred in farms in florida and the like. Convicts breed like roaches, no need for a wild supply.

Breeding the cons was fun at first, but it got out of control, I found homes for about 25 of them the rest became feeders for a turtle, I didn't like killing them after raising them, I too thought stores would be glad to take these fish and was quite supprised they would not . I soon learned to take them from tank while still fry and feed to my angels in another tank.

I now breed bristlenose pleco's, fish stores gladly take these.

I agree with swampcat, my LFS will only take cons if they are very small, and they are used as feeders. You're still only going to get pink cons if the black carries the gene for pink though, so there's no guarantee of it by any means.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back