Biorb Maintenance

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TommySide

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 30l BiOrb, (i know a lot of you don't like them). Basically i just have a few questions regarding cleaning it all out, so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

1. How much water should I change weekly/fortnightly/monthly?
2. Should I remove some of the gravel and wash that or, or just "vac" around/through it?
3. Should I change the filter every month? (the book that came with the tank suggests it, but it seems to me that i will lost the bacteria)?
4. Should I change the airstone often, or just was it out?
5. Can I put any live plants in the tank? Or should I have any decorations/places to hide? I currently have a volcano which sits over/around the bubble tube

I think thats all i have for now, hehe :D

Thanks in advance

Most bio-orbs that I have seen use an undergravel filter, (a plastic plate sits under the gravel and has a tube sticking up that blows bubbles). If your tank has this type of filter then you use a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel each week when you do a water change.

You should change about 1/3 of the tank water each week, replacing it with clean dechlorinated tap water that has a similar temperature and PH to the tank.

Airstones only need replacing when they block up and you can no longer blow air through them. That is how you test them, blow air into them.

Live plants might grow if they get some light. Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias are low light plants. Ambulia will sometimes grow in low light but does better with good light. Adding a bit of aquarium plant fertiliser will help any plants you try to keep. Sera Florena is a pretty good plant food, but there are plenty of others too.

You can add ornaments/ decorations if you like. Most fish don't care about them but some of the bottom dwelling fish do like somewhere to hide during the day.

Most bio-orbs that I have seen use an undergravel filter, (a plastic plate sits under the gravel and has a tube sticking up that blows bubbles). If your tank has this type of filter then you use a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel each week when you do a water change.

Live plants might grow if they get some light. Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias are low light plants. Ambulia will sometimes grow in low light but does better with good light. Adding a bit of aquarium plant fertiliser will help any plants you try to keep. Sera Florena is a pretty good plant food, but there are plenty of others too.

Thanks for your reply Colin, just regarding the above, my tank does have the under gravel filter. where you say "use a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel each week", do you mean take it out of the tank and wash it, or just use my gravel vac and vacuum around it?

And also, if i did put a plant in, i presume i just bury the roots under the gravel?

thanks again

this fishkeeping lark is hard work

Hi

I have a 60l Biorb with these plants in (Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias are low light plants.)

The filter says it needs to be changed but you dont have to.

Around 1/3 water change a week.

I must admit(I dont think many people will agree with me on here :p) They are son easy to maintain.

Good Luck

Hi

I have a 60l Biorb with these plants in (Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias are low light plants.)

The filter says it needs to be changed but you dont have to.

Around 1/3 water change a week.

I must admit(I dont think many people will agree with me on here :p) They are son easy to maintain.

Good Luck

thanks Tom. I thought they was easy to maintain, but I am obviously doing something wrong. my fish always die on me, water readings are fine. temperature is fine. i got some guppies on saturday and lost 2 on tuesday!

out of curiosity, what fish do you have in yours tom?

Hi,

you can clean the filter using water from the Biorb, otherwise you will be forking out for the complete unit each time. I found mine extremely easy to use and keep clean. I also had live plants in mine and they did well. I eventually got rid of the substrate provided and put in stones, and just vacume out any excess. Good luck and enjoy. :good:

Hi

What cycle did you do?(Fish-in, Fishless cycle)

I have guppys, Harlequin Rasbora in mine because they are easy keep.

Once your tank has been cycled and maintain for about 6 months you can get some tetras ect.

Are you declorinating your water?

It was kind of a mixed cycle i done. I went in quite blind and was told to put fish in after about 1 week. which i did. the tank has been set up for about 1 year now.

I currently have 5 guppys and 1 neon tetra (there was more but they died). the guppys went in 4 days ago. yeah i decholinate the water. it appears to me i do everything correct, fish just die on me!

thanks everyone for your help

Yh i am puzzeled.

Do you have any recent test readings?

just regarding the above, my tank does have the under gravel filter. where you say "use a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel each week", do you mean take it out of the tank and wash it, or just use my gravel vac and vacuum around it?

And also, if i did put a plant in, i presume i just bury the roots under the gravel?
You don't have to remove the gravel to clean it. Simply use a gravel cleaner (tube about 12inches long x 2inch diameter, that is attached to a length of syphon hose). When you syphon water out each week, you push the gravel cleaner into the gravel and it sucks the gunk out of the gravel. You move the gravel cleaner in and out of the gravel sucking all the gunk out.

Some plants have their roots buried in the gravel, but others don't. Java Moss, Java Fern & Anubias get tied to an ornament with a bit of string (rubber band or fishing can also be used). They will attach themselves to the ornament. Ambulia should be planted in the gravel.

Hi TommySide,

I've just started my BiOrb 30L Marine, I am only in week 1 so the instructions are still very fresh in my mind so I thought I would reply;

(Bear in mind mine is a Marine BiOrb so differs)

1. Water should only be changed monthly, 1/3rd.
2. The only 'gravel' you should have is the ceramic media - this should *never* be removed. Vaccing around it as part of a water change is talked about using the ciphen (by all means add other stones but don't add the usual small gravel as this will effect the filtration system that allows water to pass through the ceramic media).
2a. I bought some Live Cured Rock (definately Marine-only), only a small amount (around a tenth of the amount of ceramic media that came with the BiOrb) - this was to compliment the artificial ceramic media, the Live Cured Rock will help the tank establish a little 'better'.
2b. I have also added dead corals for decoration/interest for the fish (no livestock added yet tho).
3. The filter *must* be changed monthly with the water change - this helps maintain levels in the tank (the word Nitrates springs to mind but I might I mis-remembered that --I will double-check in the morning). Remember it is the ceramic media/Live Cured Rock that contains the good baceteria - the filter helps manage the bad stuff, it is essentially a 'filter of bad stuff' so will eventually get soiled and needs replacing).
4. Airstone should be only changed when the bubble flow is noticbly hampered, every 6 month is suggested.
5. Yes and yes! :) --I haven't added plants as we've gone for a simple looking tank, we have added pebbles and dead coral (skeletons).

I am a complete beginner at BiOrb and am following their advice to the letter but I guess, and from reading this thread it would seem to be the case, that over time you find your own methods of best looking after your tank. My theory is I need to start somewhere and what better place to do that than by following the manufacturers instructions.

Two thing already that I have deviated from:

a) I have changed the pump for a more quiet one.
b) I will be adding a cleaner shrimp first and only add snails when there is algae for them to eat (on the advice of BiOtb themselves --I spoke to them)

The message I am getting is the BiOrb is a very small environment so only a very small amount of livestock should be added.

Kinda a bit like stearing an ocean-going liner, small changes have a big effect over time so be considered and patient with everything you do :)

I hope you are successful, I think BiOrb is a great way for 'non-fish' people to get into fish keeping, a profession (particularly Marine) where from my experience has a lot of frirndly people who want to help but one that also appears to have, from a beginners perspective, a hint of an undercurrent of elitist 'magic-circle'-like snobery about it --which I find really annoying :)

Ok so watch me fall flat on my face :)

cheers
rammo.

Hi rammon and welcome to the freshwater beginners section,

That is a very old thread from early in 2009 that you have commented on and I don't believe TommySide has logged in since back in Sept 2009, so he may not see it for a while

Thanks for posting up biorb comments though as there may be members that need this info at some point. So thanks again :)

~~waterdrop~~

D'oh!!! :)
...It occupied 10 minutes if nothing else :-D

Thanks for the welcome waterdrop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back