Bio-wheel filter question

basstracker_v16

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been gone over and over agian that it reached the moon and back,
but if any one wouldnt mind answering this.

15g tank has a Penguin Bio Wheel 125 filter unit. The bio wheel moves sometimes, but the filter gets pretty cruddy. Tanks been cycled since Feb/March, filters never been changed, just cleaned in tank water.

5.5 g tank just a small whisper filter. Same with this one as far as bein cycled and the filter bein cleaned.

Both tanks are good as far as tests, nothing wrong there, fish are fine.

However, with the pen 125, would it be ok to replace the filter OR the bio wheel, if so which one, if not then thats fine. Its just that it seems the filter works harder and a reduction of water movement is my concern... with both tanks.

The whisper one, same question.

Thank you in advance!

First of all, never replace a bio-wheel unless you absolutely have to. That is where your beneficial bacteria live. It is okay for it to only turn every so often as long as it still turns. As for replacing the filter... I assume you mean the activated carbon filter? That should be replaced every 2-3 weeks (depending on the bio load). You can rinse it every week to extend its life... but it still needs to be replaced eventually.

I assume you mean the activated carbon filter? That should be replaced every 2-3 weeks (depending on the bio load). You can rinse it every week to extend its life... but it still needs to be replaced eventually.
I would not replace my carbon filter every 2-3 weeks. Not unless I worked for a company that sells the things. I use mine for about 6 months before replacing, minimum. It just depends on how they hold up. Activated carbon is only useful for a week or two tops, so if you actuallly feel the need to use it, then you need to replace the carbon. Many aquariasts forgo caron in their filters all the time, except when a need arises, such as removing medicines or impurities from the water. Yes, you should rinse it in tank water (when you do your water changes, swish it around in the bucket of water before dumping it) and reuse it until it starts falling apart.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back