What do you think of BigTuna's FOWLR?

• I'm impressed

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • He's got potential

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • He should quit now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I do have some updates from the other night. I did go into the LFS that night and I picked up my Trigger and Puffer they were holding for me.

Picasso
IMG_1272.jpg

Petey
IMG_1276.jpg

Mick and Keith are doing well with their new buddies. This is a bit of a shocker, I know. Right from the beginning, everyone got along and swam in close quarters without any signs of aggression towards the cardinals. I continue to keep an eye on everyone, and it seems with more time they become even more comfortable with each other. At feeding time its a fun dynamic to watch the Trigger go crazy, the Cardinals darting all over, and Petey Puffer just floating around getting his small share :D
IMG_1277.jpg

The transition hasn't been perfect for them, though. The Trigger was quite reckless at first and had some disagreements with the LR at times. He is pretty well healed up now, but he did give himself some nasty scratches. And unfortunately he has made snack of some of the snails in the tank. They're not all gone, but there are a few that have become a midnight snack.

IMG_1280.jpg

Things for Petey have been a little more difficult. While he seems to be doing fine, there are some physical signs to suggest otherwise. Rather quickly after acclimation he had developed an infection on his right eye. Not completely uncommon for puffers during levels of high stress. I have been giving him doses of Artemiss and after just a few treatments it is almost gone.

IMG_1278.jpg

The Happy Family.

IMG_1281.jpg

Playing in the dark

IMG_1287.jpg

Petey's favorite sleeping spot.

IMG_1302.jpg

Unfortunately not all good times at BigTuna's tank. I am not battling the dreaded ick.

IMG_1304.jpg

I just gave the tank a first dose of Super Ick Cure from API. Tomorrow I think I will be getting Ick Attack from Kordon. I saw the LFS treating their Achilles Tang with it, so if its good enough for those fish, I think its good enough for mine. This Ick definitely worries me, so I want to get the best product available to me regardless of cost. While I had success in the past treating my Freshwater fish, I also experienced the loss of three Electic Blue Rams as well, so Ick does intimidate me a bit right now. I have also increased the Temp to 80F, and will slowly work it up a bit more tomorrow. Probably to 82F unless you all suggest otherwise? I really hope things go well for us.

And that is pretty well where I'm at right now. Any help in regards to the Ick I would really appreciate!

Cheers

ps
@Tyler - Yes, the Trigger does have some foul poops. :D

One small update on the technical side.

I ordered a new Overflow online at it arrived.

IMG_1301.jpg

So when I did a big water change prior to the Ick treatment I thought it would be a great time to install it. I bit of a disaster to be quite honest. I didn't have all the right plumbing to fit the bulkheads onto the flex hose that leads to the sump. A few trips to the hardware store, and some creative plumbing lead me to success, or so I thought.

While I did have it running for quite a while, I had to shut it down as it began leaking around the bulkheads and some of my plumbing. These will be easy fixes now that I have the original overflow back on and I have time to do a proper fabrication. Before it was a little under time constraints. I also found out that it demands a very high water supply. I had two 775 GPH pumps trying to keep its thirst down, and was barely able to supply it along with the constant running of a siphon vacuum on the overflow. So all in all it is best to have the old overflow on until I can get a proper pump and to fix the plumbing. :D

I will say the flow rate was something to see. I was pretty much drooling :D Can't wait to get this bad boy back on and running.

Very nice :good:

be careful with treatment as a lot of it contains copper Which could kill your lr off abit

Oh the new dudes are awesome. The puffer is a creepy little guy. Kinda like a pug dog. Almost cute. :fun: I hope the ich goes away with no really issues.

Picasso is the perfect name for the Trigger as his features seem skewed in all that brilliant color!

Oh btw..who are you looking at for the Stanley cup? We have been watching more hockey this year then ever.

I own a pug and there awesome great characters :lol:

Also it's a Picasso trigger :good:

Bae

I'm going to start using seachem's Para Guard for ick treatment as well as introduction for future fish. So I stocked up on it.

FF, I can't take much credit for the Trigger's name. As bae mentioned, he's a Picasso Trigger. Still, Picasso is the best name I can come up with. As for the Stanley Cup, I'd be shocked if LA doesn't win it all. I golf in the summer with their coach so I wouldn't mind a chance to hang out with the Stanley Cup one day :)

While getting meds today I also got a beefy new pump to beef up the system. I should be able to plumb in the new overflow again and I should be pushing 1400 gph.

So going to head home, water change, over flow and pump swap, then meds.

Side story. Just saw a guy come in and buy an Achiles Tang (im beyond jealous), 2 chevron tang, and a blue regal tang. Someday, right?

I'm going to start using seachem's Para Guard for ick treatment as well as introduction for future fish. So I stocked up on it.

FF, I can't take much credit for the Trigger's name. As bae mentioned, he's a Picasso Trigger. Still, Picasso is the best name I can come up with. As for the Stanley Cup, I'd be shocked if LA doesn't win it all. I golf in the summer with their coach so I wouldn't mind a chance to hang out with the Stanley Cup one day :)

While getting meds today I also got a beefy new pump to beef up the system. I should be able to plumb in the new overflow again and I should be pushing 1400 gph.

So going to head home, water change, over flow and pump swap, then meds.

Side story. Just saw a guy come in and buy an Achiles Tang (im beyond jealous), 2 chevron tang, and a blue regal tang. Someday, right?

My husband just said "Get the F#@% ouT OF HERE!!!" LOL. He has really been liking the LA kings. I just became the coolest wife because I talk to you often and you know the La Kings coach. Understand he is in the Army and we don't have the opportunity to meet famous people often... well sometimes we get to shake hands with politicians :crazy:

I hope your fish heal up quickly. :good:

The Sutter family is very down to earth. With your husband working in the army, they'd consider you guys the celebrities. I often see them in wranglers hauling stock to the auction mart haha. They like to talk farming, ranching, and rodeo. Not your typical 'famous' people. A lot of the guys in the NHL that I know are of similar backgrounds and personalities. Small town guys with big hearts.

Petey Puffer scared the heck out of me tonight. He was 'missing' his left pectoral fin!! Turns out, they like to tuck them in when stressed from parasites. I learned that the hard way and was a bit heartbroken that something horrific had happened to him. After a dose of Para Guard he has shown his pectoral fin again. :) His physical signs have not got any worse than what is shown in the above pict a few posts up. I want to say/believe that they may have improved already, but it could be the optimist in me. I hope his signs clear up quickly.

Hi Tuna, well a lot of new developments during my absence (got back to Canada yesterday)! Great looking fish you've got there; I love the picasso and the cardinals. Cardinals are definitively some of the fish I would like to include in a nano set-up if I would ever have one.

I hope the puffer gets healthy soon; it is terrible losing fish...

The trigger is so pretty! I love it! I have never been a fan of the puffers, but I am glad you like them.

Gosh, that guy that bought all those tangs! Jeesh. Lots of tang lol.

The tank is looking absolutely wonderful! Well done!

-Tyler

Hi Tuna, well a lot of new developments during my absence (got back to Canada yesterday)! Great looking fish you've got there; I love the picasso and the cardinals. Cardinals are definitively some of the fish I would like to include in a nano set-up if I would ever have one.

I hope the puffer gets healthy soon; it is terrible losing fish...

Welcome back to Canada!! The cardinals are pretty cool, I'm so happy the trigger likes them too! Watching the cardinals feed is a lot of fun, darting all over the place.

The trigger is so pretty! I love it! I have never been a fan of the puffers, but I am glad you like them.

Gosh, that guy that bought all those tangs! Jeesh. Lots of tang lol.

The tank is looking absolutely wonderful! Well done!

-Tyler

I'm hoping to get Petey a porqupine puffer pal. That would be it for puffers. I was so jealous of the tang man. Over $1000 in tangs, all that I hope to have someday.

lol I am a fan of that ugly, cute puffer!

Petey says thanks!!! He gets no respect. Picasso constantly bumps him all over during feeding. Petey squints and flinches like an actual timid puppy. :) he is looking more and more at home, so that could only mean good things as I continue treating the tank. I hope to have some real solid updates soon

So I have a question for all the pros.

When treating the puffer for ich, my theory was to do a large water change, then daily treatments of Para Guard until the signs were eliminated. So I'm a few days in and Petey hasn't seen too much improvement. In fact, today I noticed a few more spots on his pectoral fins. So should I be doing water changes as well? Every 48 hrs? I was worried that water changes might limit the Para Guard's effectiveness.

Thoughts?

Most reactions

Back