Big problem...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aj86

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I think my discus have got ick.. Its on 3 of them that i can see... Im not sure about my water reading because i have never tested my water... I know its bad :/ but please if there is anyone that could help me in what to do it would be much appreciated!

Try melafix. My discus has a fungul infection and it is keeping it from spreading. About the water testing i dont do it either. (mainly because i dont have test kits) But melafix seems to be working.

James

Melafix is not going to work with ick and if you have discus you realy do need to test your water!

Try buying an ick med and follow the instructions. Make sure you medicate for a while after all signs of ick have gone as the ick may still be in your water after the spots have gone. There is no other reliable treatment and I'm surprised your discus got ick in the first place as these parasites don't do well in the high temperatures discus require...

I'd be getting to a pet store ASAP. I had a Siamese that did a jumper and 2 days later came down with ick - between when we noticed, and when we bought the medicine (four hours) the fish was dead, and the water smelt sulphurous (sp?).

The treatment we bought was quite cheap - $5.20 Australian - but you'll have to be careful if you have fry, kuhli loaches or a few other types of fish in the tank; some fishes can't handle the chemicals in the medicine. Also, with a lot of medications, you'll also need to keep the tank really well aerated and take the carbon out of your filter.

Where do you live in Australia? There's an aquarium in Oxley, Queensland that are pretty good. I think it's Paul's aquarium (I was there buying my mum a gravel vacuum this afternoon....you'd think I'd know the name :( )

Whatever pet store you go to, take a water sample with you. I'd also suggest you start prepping water, because I suspect you're going to be told to separate the infected from the non-infected. Sorry I couldn't be more help, and I hope your discus recover - they're beautiful fish.

Thanx for all your help guys im goign to go to my lfs tommorrow and pick up some med... Do you think raising the temp will get rid of them because i have only jus found out that my discus need to be kept at a higher temp then what i have it out... my temp is going to be raised from 26C - 30C which is 80 - 86F

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back