Bicolor Angelfish Biting Tank Mates?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

teamdavenport

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I bought a bicolor angelfish about 3 weeks ago, and it was placed in a 25-gallon tank with a damsel and 2 clowns. The bicolor angelfish is about 2 inches in length (approximately). For the most part, all of the fish have gotten along. This morning, though, the damsel was hiding under a rock and both clowns were being chased/nipped by the bicolor.

Is there anything I can do to stop or dissuade this behavior? The bicolor is a colorful fish but the last thing I want is a tank full of scared or dead tank mates. 

Thanks!
-D

Im not sure but isnt the tank to small for the angelfish? Might be causing the aggression

Damsels deciding to live in crevices is not all that unusual. Keep an eye on the aggressive behavior. With semi-aggressive fish, it's not unusual to have fish approach threatening to bite as a means of maintaining pecking order, but never actually carry through with it. However, if the angel is landing bites on the clowns and not just threatening, then it might need to be separated. As a short term solution if things get out of hand suddenly, you can move one or the other into a breeder net within the tank to keep it in clean water for a day or two while sorting out a longer term solution. Do keep the top of the net covered if you do that though if the tank is otherwise open-topped, since sometimes fish will try to escape nets.

Somehow I had been thinking that bicolors were a small species (I've never kept any angels myself). However, I just looked up the species and saw that they get to 6". That will be a problem long-term just for space reasons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back