Bga...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steve H.

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I can only guess I have an outbreak of BGA due to the fact that the tank is a new set-up.
I just fought through a period of Diatom, and now have BGA.

I just did a huge w/c, about 80%, and blacked out the whole tank. Hoping that in 3 days this outbreak will be over.

I think this outbreak may have started in the filter, but not sure. Everything I have read seems to state substrate as the cause.

2 questions:
After this blackout period what can I do to keep it from returning?

Since this is not actually algae, but a bacteria does the blackout period kill the bacteria? Or just the photo synthesized form of the bacteria?

Thanks for any help that can be offered here.

I can only guess I have an outbreak of BGA due to the fact that the tank is a new set-up.
I just fought through a period of Diatom, and now have BGA.

I just did a huge w/c, about 80%, and blacked out the whole tank. Hoping that in 3 days this outbreak will be over.

I think this outbreak may have started in the filter, but not sure. Everything I have read seems to state substrate as the cause.

2 questions:
After this blackout period what can I do to keep it from returning?

Since this is not actually algae, but a bacteria does the blackout period kill the bacteria? Or just the photo synthesized form of the bacteria?

Thanks for any help that can be offered here.

I take it you are referring to blue-green algae. It's actually cyanobacteria a cross between algae and bacteria sort of. Maracyn (Erythromycin) in the tank for five days will get rid of it. I've read that BGA can be toxic to some fish, but I think allot of fish won't eat it. More vacuuming and water changes along with a little less light should help keep it away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back