Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

BFF fish missing one another?

Discussion in 'Oddball's institute' started by kelsey_lauren, Sep 1, 2017.

1. kelsey_lauren

kelsey_lauren New Member

So I have just separated one of my fish (named Rainbow, hope this helps distinguishing them) because I think she has Ich and I want to make sure it doesn't spread around the tank. I observed her scratching herself on the gravel as well.

Rainbow became instant friends with Jack (short for Jack-o-lantern lol). They would swim together and have a great time. So, since I just separated them, I swear Jack is missing Rainbow. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but Jack and Rainbow will look at each other from separate tanks.

My point in mentioning their friendship is that I just saw Jack try and scratch himself just like Rainbow did! Jack hadn't ever done that before! Directly after that, one of my tetras did it too! I'm a little freaked out ahaha, that is some odd behavior.

I am a little worried that it was too much stress on the fish, but I want to make sure that Rainbow gets treated. I think she's pregnant too.

Let me know your thoughts and if you know anything about Ich and the scratching!!

2. NickAu

NickAu Member

Put Rainbow back in with Jack you will have to treat the whole tank. What kind of fish are they?

3. kelsey_lauren

kelsey_lauren New Member

Yeah, to be honest I think I acted too quickly so I'll put her back in tomorrow. I have 2 tetras, 1 sunburst platy (Rainbow), and 1 sunburst wag platy (Jack).

4. NickAu

NickAu Member

Hi

Here's what you need to do.
    I have used the above method and it works, you should see results in 12 to 18 hours.

5. kelsey_lauren

kelsey_lauren New Member

Thank you for your help. My fish are currently getting way better, no signs of Ich anymore. I used medication and raising the heat, along with a tiny bit of aquarium salt. This all seems to be doing pretty well, I'm going to wait a little longer to transfer them into their new tank, so I know the Ich is not coming back.