Betta??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Angry_Platy

Sleepy Chook
Reaction score
Sleeping Somewhere. Or doing water changes. Or run
OK...I have a tropical community tank (see sig for fish)....I WAS going to add a male betta to this then read around (and asked in chat) and decided it wasn't a good idea.....SOOOO....I am going to be getting a small tank/setup for one...a few questions....

1. Do they need a heater? If so, can I use a heater in a plastic tank (of say, 5 gal size)??

2. Do they need filtration?
3. Do they prefer a planted/decorated tank or a bare tank?
4. What is the minimum size tank? I want the fish to be able to swim freely and not be cramped yet I have read they don't like overly big tanks.
5. Do they need special food or will they eat normal tropical flakes?

I know some of these questions may seem dumb but I want to do the right thing from the start...

Any other hints and or comments/suggestions would be appreciated.....

Thanks in Advance

u mentioned 5 gallon tank.. that would be good... they dont NEED a heater, but a temp that doesnt change much is best.... mine eat flakes... some dont, but thats usually if theyve been fed 1 type of food only... heaters in plastic tanks are ok aslong as theyre not touching anything.... they wouldnt mind a plant or 2

My opinions -

1. They don't need a heater if your house stays a reasonable temperature, in the mid-70's is preferable. You can't use a heater in a plastic tank for risk of melting it. :X

2. Once again, it's not necessary, but can be helpful. You don't want one that creates a big current though. I would suggest either a sponge filter or a small one like a nano palm filter. :nod:

3. Personally, I think they like decorations! Mine love little pots to hide in, and they always sleep in their plants. Make sure you get silk or live plants though, otherwise it will tear the poor guy's fins! However, keep in mind that a tank without gravel is much easier to clean, though it's up to you. :thumbs:

4. You'll find conflicting info on this - some people would say 1/2 gallon, some people say 2 gallons. I find that most of mine are comfy in a 1 - 1.5 gallon tank, they seem quite content. :D

5.It is a good idea to get them betta food, as they have slightly different protein requirements. Also, some bettas won't eat flakes so you may need pellets. It depends on the fishy!! :rolleyes:

I'm just warning you.... once you get one you'll never look back, I guarantee you'll end up with 5+. :p

I would say a 5G, that's what I am going to get but put in dividers so I can keep 2 or 3 in it.

YAY, Chooklet I am happy you are going to get a betta. I am telling you have been missing out. Once you get one that won't be enough and you'll go out and get more. Well theres nothing left for me to say, because Julie nailed all the info :p . Good luck Chooklet (BTW: How was the PIZZA love? -inside joke :lol: ).

1. Do they need a heater? If so, can I use a heater in a plastic tank (of say, 5 gal size)??

2. Do they need filtration?
3. Do they prefer a planted/decorated tank or a bare tank?
4. What is the minimum size tank? I want the fish to be able to swim freely and not be cramped yet I have read they don't like overly big tanks.
5. Do they need special food or will they eat normal tropical flakes?

1. Yes. I've noticed that bettas that have a heater in their tank are more active and more happy.
2. Yes. Bettas should have some type of filtration in their tank to aid in Nitrogen cycle. People have said that they keep their bettas in containers without filtration and they have lived for 2 or 3 years (which is the life expectancy of a betta). I've been to third world countries where people live off of trash heap in a city dump. some of them (not many) have lived for 60 or 70 years. Just because you've seen a betta live in such circumstances doesn't mean that you shouldn't give your betta what it really needs. Just make sure that the filter has a fairly low current so your betta doesn't get exhausted.
3. Planted tanks are best.
4. you want AT LEAST a 1 gallon tank and it's best not to put a betta in anything larger than 30 gallons.
5. Betta food pellets (such as Hikari or HBH) provide a better diet than normal tropical flake for your betta. It is also good to feed your betta (as with all other tropical fish) a varied diet which can include (but not limited to) blood worms, brine shrimp, and vegetables such as cucumber and lettuce.

A heater's a good idea, but not necessary. Very good idea if you're getting a larger tank (5+ gallons), IMO.
Decorations can be more for your enjoyment, but it seems like bettas enjoy a little something to break the monotony of a bare tank, especially some floating plants or a simple decoration or rooted plant.
Sponge filters are optional IMO, unless you keep some other fish in there like dwarf cories, etc.
I like those little betta pellet foods for everyday stuff, but sometimes your betta will accept flakes. I highly HIGHLY recommend frozen or live bloodworms as a supplement. They L :wub: VE 'em!

I personally think plants are very important for the long term comfort and well being of betta's. I also think heaters are important, less to achieve any magic temperature then to achieve a stable temperature. All fish benefit from filtration, of course, I don't know why betta's would be an exception.

I keep mine in a planted 15 gallon tank with Glass catfish, guppies and a couple of shrimp. I will be adding a school of tetra's soon. Even a Betta will use the space if you provide it.

thecichlidaddict said:
I personally think plants are very important for the long term comfort and well being of betta's. I also think heaters are important, less to achieve any magic temperature then to achieve a stable temperature. All fish benefit from filtration, of course, I don't know why betta's would be an exception.
My thoughts exactly! :nod:

Someone above mentioned you can't put heaters in plastic tanks....um I disagree, I have had heaters in plastic tanks for a while and never have had a problem. I just make sure the heater isn't pressed up against the side wall (the suction cup thing that the heater is attached to and gets attached to the wall will hold it away from the glass it's attached to), but I wouldn't want my heater pressed up against the wall of a glass tank either <shrug> It's just common sense.

Linda
www.pet-emporium.com
www.cooking-fanatics.com

yes chook!!! finally going to be getting a betta!! well all your question have been answered so i just want to say you wont regret it!

I've kept a 50W heater in my 4 gallon for a couple months with no problems. The plastic is pretty thick though, so I think it depends entirely on the tank. My heater is really good quality, too, which may have some affect. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're willing to risk it, go for the heater. I recommend it.

As for the other questions, the others have answered them ;)

Congrats on your decision to get a betta :thumbs:

shrks1fan said:
Someone above mentioned you can't put heaters in plastic tanks....um I disagree, I have had heaters in plastic tanks for a while and never have had a problem. I just make sure the heater isn't pressed up against the side wall (the suction cup thing that the heater is attached to and gets attached to the wall will hold it away from the glass it's attached to), but I wouldn't want my heater pressed up against the wall of a glass tank either <shrug> It's just common sense.

Linda
www.pet-emporium.com
www.cooking-fanatics.com
I am the one who said that, but like cutechic said, it really depends on the tank and your heater. I have actually seen a tank melt (not mine) because the heater was too strong and the plastic too thin. This is why I always feel better if small tanks are left controlled by the house's thermostat. Just IME. :thumbs: Anyways, Linda you're right - Chook if you have the correct tank and heater, it would be fine. It's really personal preference. :nod:

Hi Chooklet :)

Why not start out by using the 10 gallon tank you already have as a hospital tank?
You will soon be able to replace it with the one you are currently using as a community tank, anyway, once your fish move to their larger quarters.

If you do, you could add a few corys for the bottom. This would give you the option of having 2 kinds of new fish, both of which are very popular, and who get along well together. They also eat the same food.

Most reactions

Back