Betta Vs Filter

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ladynaoko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got a new filter for my tank yesterday as the one I had was far from adequate.
I have both the filters hooked up (one at each end of the tank) and naturally the current has increased a bit in the tank.

This has made my Betta far from happy. He usually gets quite huffy when the current increases (eg: after cleaning the filter) and even though both filters are on the lowest setting he's getting quite moody about it all.

The filter has only been in for 1 day so do you think he'll chill out a bit in the next few days?

He might get used to it, but IMO it will wear him out quickly. Not trying to spark a debate but IMO (again), bettas who live in heavily filtered tanks have a decreased life expectancy.

I would consider altering the filter to meet your betta's needs or searching for another filter altogether. Heavy currents can stress bettas out, especially those with long fins, and may ultimately lead to their death. I know this to be true from personal experience.

update:

I checked on him earlier and he has calmed down a considerable amount, he's happily swimming around in there now :)

I would change the filter but the only filters around here are uber expensive and I had to borrow money to get my new one :( the old filter was rubbish in my tank and I currently have no choice but to run both of them (until the new one gets established).

If he's still a bit unhappy once the new filter is established I'll remove the old one.

Glad it's working out now. If it looks like he's strugling at all you might want to turn one of the filters off. Pay very close attention to him to make sure he'll be OK.

Most reactions

Back