Betta tanks pt.2

Rose

Moved On
Reaction score
bettagumball.jpg

I don't understand why people insist on puting bettas in small containers like those :( He can't even flare his fins without touching the sides :angry: How would anyone like to be in a house that every time they stretched their arms, they hit the wall, and have no way of escape :grumpy:

How would anyone like to be in a house that every time they stretched their arms, they hit the wall, and have no way of escape
That is called Jail. You did the crime, you do the time. Rose

Gad, I always thought the practice a little silly myself.

Kind of like the people who buy a puppy, take it home, and chain it up outside.

If you are going to have pets, take the time to love and cae for them :)

Rose i can touch the walls in my place its not a jail cell theres no bars but there is nice padded wall paper any ideas where i am

you must feel at home in the nut house. I know I do :D :p R

is that a siamese fighting fish?
At the pet store (which we no longer go to), the owner kept about 100 male fighting fish in his shop. They were all in pint glasses and he said that some of them had been sitting there for months.
I thought that it was cruel, but he said that it was all the space they needed. :what:

Yep, siamese fighting fish = siamese fighter = betta splendens.

Its true that in the wild they sometimes live in very small puddles - the normal surface area stocking guide - in order to get enough oxygenation in the water doesn't apply as rigidly since Betta's are able to breathe air.

However the amount of space they need in a tank is one of those hotly disputed topics.

I've definitely on the "Free the Betta" side of the fence.

Aquababies :grumpy: :grumpy: :angry: :angry:

When I eventually get the double hex that was promised to me, I'm going to put a betta in it. Every time I go to my LFS I feel so sorry for the poor bettas stuck in those tiny little tanks - makes me want to buy lots of 5 g tanks and put a betta in each one :)

he will be one very happy betta dude. R

Unfortunately the "betta" in a jar topic is all true.

There is a shop by me that keeps their Betta's in little plastic cups.

Bett'a may be able to breath air, but to be at their best they need room just as any fish needs.

Can't stand shops that keep this practice, but IMO it will not change.

Betta breeders also indulge in this practice. Most (not all) keep their males in glass jars until the females are ready to spawn then into the tank with the females they go. Once spawning is complete (this means the whole process) the males usually go back to their jars.

Larry

Most reactions

Back