Betta tankmates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

abokki

Reaction score
So I recently got a 10 gallon long. Its fully cycled and has plenty of live plants along with 3 red cherry shrimp. I was gonna put a single male betta as a centerpiece but I would like a another small schooling fish along with the betta and shrimp. maybe neons or pygmy cories? Would this be over stocked?

Neon tetras will more than likely nip the fins of the Betta, I've only ever kept lampeye killifish with Betta's successfully. Any of the three dwarf Corydoras should be ok, a small school of 6 would be fine.

Bettas are solitary fish and best kept on their own.

Some Bettas are good with tank mates others are not, When considering tank mates for a Betta be prepared to re-home the Betta or the tank mates at a moments notice if you see him stalking the other fish or he will kill them.

Also some Bettas become shy and withdrawn with tank mates.

I agree. Betta are not community fish; even though some say they have "success" with other species, this is not normal and best avoided.

Without a Betta, you could have a nice planted tank with small "nano" type fish. Ember Tetra, one of the dwarf rasbora in the genus Boraras, pygmy cories, Neon Tetra, etc. I would not myself put neons in a 10g, but with plants and if you're set they could work.

Byron.

if your going to have a betta in a community tank, I suggest at least a 30 gallon tank :eek:

Tank size means nothing, I had a female plakat in a 18 gallon with Hengali Rasboras and she still managed to kill 2 and injure a 3rd.

I had a male that freaked out in a big tank he started fin biting and hiding, When I put him in a 5 gallon cube it all stopped.

Bettas are solitary fish and best kept on their own.

to me tank size does matter:
Example: if you have a 1 gallon tank and you but 1 betta (male) in it with 16 tetras, its likely for the betta to begin attacking the tetras...
I know from personal experience of having a betta in a community tank that if its big enough they wont care. (for the most part)

to me tank size does matter:
Example: if you have a 1 gallon tank and you but 1 betta (male) in it with 16 tetras, its likely for the betta to begin attacking the tetras...
I know from personal experience of having a betta in a community tank that if its big enough they wont care. (for the most part)

I'm sorry, but this is just not reliable. I agree that the space of an aquarium does indeed impact fish behaviour. But the smaller space is in actuality increasing the Betta's inherent traits because it is stressful; having the Betta in a larger space means the fish will more likely act "normally" for the species. And this means attacking other fish, it is ingrained in the Betta. The common name "Siamese Fighting Fish" is not for nothing.

Like most animals, including humans, fish can be individual, and not for some reason behave as the species is programmed to do. We don't know why this is so, but it is. It is always best to assume a fish will be "normal" in its behaviours, rather than hope it will not. Many years ago, when I had a 20g tank during my school days (and that was a long time ago) I had a beautiful Betta that easily ate neons. Betta are not community fish, and this must be understood. It is just not fair to the fish to place it in an environment that puts it at risk. The allomones released by the Betta can be highly stressful to all the other fish in the tank, even if no physical interaction occurs; and in reverse, the allomones released by the other fish can stress out the Betta, even if the other fish don't decide to nip its fins. They are probably "thinking" about it, and that is where pheromones and allomones enter the picture.

Byron.

Cory catfish are great with Bettas, and I have them with a couple of my Bettas. I also have one gourami with two different Bettas. I tried having two Gouramis in my 10 gallon with a Betta, Cory catfish, and 6 ghost shrimp however the other gourami didn't like it too much. I'd be nervous to put guppies with a Betta because of their tail type, I fear it would lead to a lot of tail niping. I definitely recommend Cory catfish!

I don't think 10g is big enough for cories - especially as you should have a minimum of 5. I have cories in my 4ft and they zoom up and down the entire length!

I agree with Nick - betta's should be on their own - if that's how they live in the wild that's how they should live in a tank.

I also have one gourami with two different Bettas.
Gouramis and Bettas do not belong in the same tank, Those fish must be stressed as heck.

Example: if you have a 1 gallon tank and you but 1 betta (male) in it with 16 tetras, its likely for the betta to begin attacking the tetras..

Not always, The neons could start nipping at the Bettas fins causing him to hide and stressing him out.

Last edited:
So I recently got a 10 gallon long. Its fully cycled and has plenty of live plants along with 3 red cherry shrimp. I was gonna put a single male betta as a centerpiece but I would like a another small schooling fish along with the betta and shrimp. maybe neons or pygmy cories? Would this be over stocked?
I know that im PRETTY late but if you do want to add more fish in do so with caution. Always have a back up plan. Make sure that there is LOTS of hiding places and its heavily planted. It really depends on the temperment of your betta. You can probaly add 3 cory catfish(not sure how to spell it) but they are bottom feeders and like to live in small groups, your betta probaly want care about the if they stay on the bottom. But cory catfish dont like a to heavily planted tank.

I'd only have bottom dwelling species with bettas. Fish such as corydoras, khuli loaches, small species of plecos, snails, shrimp...that's about all I can think of. I know some people have put small tetra/barb species with them but I really wouldn't attempt other mid/top dwelling fish in a ten gallon.

Bettas can indeed have tank mates...depending on the betta, some are aggressive, some are more docile. However I believe any type of schooling fish are not an option, unless they are bottom dwellers. Like mentioned, Cory cats are perfect for most bettas, but you should have a shoal of at least 6 and like mentioned, a ten gallon is slightly too small (with a betta,) but I won't say it's its irresponsible to do so....I did it when I first started the hobby, though I probably wouldn't do it again. I slightly agree with others, if you're not super adamant about keeping tank mates with a betta, then just don't do it...but you can. Also keep in mind that your betta may seem to get along great with a tank mate(s), and may snap at any point, a month later or two years later. Hence why I'd recommend just not doing it and consider some cool snails or something....but again, I would not consider it a terrible and irresponsible decision....and have a backup plan and time to observe during introduction. Your betta may just not like ANYTHING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also keep in mind that your betta may seem to get along great with a tank mate(s), and may snap at any point, a month later or two years later.

I had a female Plakat that was fine with Rasboras in a 2 foot 18 gallon tank for about 4 months, Then she snapped killed 2 and fatally injured a 3rd.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back