Betta tank set up

anti_lite

Reaction score
me and my boyfriend are about to start breeding betta fish. we are getting a male and two females. we have a 5 gallon tank, a 10 gallon tank, and a 20 gallon long tank. we have 2 regent power filters that fit 10 and 20 gallon tanks. right now we have 3 guppies in the 5 gallon tank so we can condition the water. we are thinking about using the 10 gallon as a community tank and put the females in there with an alge eater and some other compatible fish. also we want to use the 20 gallon as the breeding tank so we can avoid putting the fry in a different tank when they start to get bigger all we would have to do is just add water. when the males start to get aggressive we will just move them to their own seperate bowls. does this set up sound like a winner or do you have a better idea?? thank you

;) Heelo and welcome to the forum. Can you confirm which fish it is that you wish to breed. Is it the guppies of the bettas.
It sounds okay, but I think the other breeders may have some advice to help you along. I it were Cichlids I'd be straight in :grin:

i'm going to breed the bettas that i am getting in the mail from a breeder in florida. they are about 4 months old and i thought i would give them a month before i breed them so they can get use to their new environment and breeding them soon after getting them would be pretty stressful for the fish. thanks for the reply :) oh yeah...the type of betta i am getting...i can't exactly remember what its called but its a CT salamander...its a really pretty turquois color with a red tint in the tail. beautiful fish.

Hi and Welcome.

1st CT= Crown Tail. bettas are usually more commonly known by there tail types. You have DT=double tail, HM = Half moon,VT = Veil tail, etc the list is huge.

2ndly Keep the male seperate from the females until you actually want them to breed. The male will attack and kill the females if he's ready and the girls aint interested. I'm just in from work so I'll post a full answer on the hows and whys of breeding bettas tomorrow, as well as adding a couple of tips and links to a few articles you should have a read of.

i understand the whole breeding process. i read a bunch of articles on it. i have a sponge filter for the breeding tank. i could use some tips though. i'm into natural medicines and i was wondering if there were any suggestions for bacteria and fungi fighting compunds. i would rather not use a bunch of chemicals...any suggestions??

The best form of preventive medicen it good husdandary. The only other not chemical treatment I can think of just now is Salt. A common treatment for many infections. ;)

I see no problems with what your trying to do. The larger tank is better. :)

A lot of breeders, particularly in the states tend to use "blackwater extract" to help condition the fish for breeding. I've never tried it so don't have an opinion on the stuff.
Best to put the female in the 20 g tank and the male in a smaller one sit them beside each other for a week or two so the bettas can see each other then transfer the male into the tank with the female. That way she'll feel more safer than if you put her into the males territory and will breed more easily.
A lot of peep's also confine the male in the breeding tank for a couple of days using the glass off of a storm lantern. Tried that and didn't think it made much difference.

Heres the links. Link 1
betttalk
Another link
Yet another link. lol

Chances are you've checked these sites before but the info is good.
For the bacteria and fungus fighting the best thing is good water husbandry. if you make sure the conidtions of the water are fine you shouldn't need to add anything.
As soon as you can distinguish the males from the females seperate them. I'd give you a bit about genetics but at the mo' that would probably confuse you. they come into play more when you've bred the iimpurities out of fish that are common in the farmed fish most lfs have in stock. it goes on about what to breed to get particular colours and tail types. ie you nay have two steel blue bettas but the resulting fry would be a difent colour depending on the fish's genetics.
Gotta go as I've a visitor from Inverness taking a day of camping coming so anything I've missed or you want to know just ask.

thank you for the help. i bought some aquarium salt just in case. i should be getting my fish in tomorrow. i can't wait :) if i have any more questions i'll ask. also the sites you listed were a big help...thanks

No problem. I was just a bit rushed to condense al the info into one post. all links have what I would have said anyway. just don't ask then for med advice(ask Rose) lol. best to go without the salt though. You don't get a little Thai man running round the puddles with a salt seller. just like you don't get the same with an Amazonian tribesman.lol Go with the live food before hand. there will be a lot of flaring etc so be prepared for a dissapointment to start. Gazat was trying to breed just recently so hopefully he'll spot this thread and post some of his expereince soon.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Have I been promoted (or demoted, depending on how you look at it) to Medicine Man..er woman...er guru...ummm you know what I mean. Rose

Not quite yet girl wonder. lol those links are all members of that place I pointed you in the direction of. lol. whre they never give the same advice for the same Q's.

Most reactions

Back