Betta Swollen Behind The Gills

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lurch1000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My blue Crowntail appears to be swollen just behind the gills.

I've attached a photo, but of a swine to take a picture of him as he doesn't stay too still for long (well, not where I can get a picture of the area) and it's off my phone with terrible shutter lag.

He's eating fine, mainly on flake at the moment. Water stats are fine, and the pH is 7. He's in a divided 60l tank, and he's got about 40l on his side, and 5 Harlequins and a Zebra snail in with him. Other side of the tank is another Betta, they can see each other, but there's only been one occurrence of them flaring at each other.

He's only been in this tank for 2 nights now, although I've had him for about 2 weeks.

I'm hoping it's just the stress of the move and that he'll be OK, but if there's something that can be done, it's probably best done sooner rather than later.

Overall, he seems OK, similar behaviour and swimming patterns to the other Betta, the Harlequins aren't bothering him, and he's not bothering them.

I only noticed the problem this afternoon.

Many thanks!

swollen.jpg

And a quick long shot of how he used to look.

IMG-20120211-00080.jpg

Looks like some kind of ulcer. I cant really tell with the pic been a little blurry if it could be dropsy or not too. Have you just fed him? He may of eaten to much to and hes slightly bloated.

He has been fed prior to the picture, but it was there before the feed.

His diet hasn't changed, the only thing that has is his tank.

I'll try to get another picture.

Was his new tank cycled? or did you use water and media from his previous home?
Yeah try see if you can get a slightly clearer pic, may help to see whats the problem then mate :good:

The tank is fully cycled, Ammonia/Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. The water is water he's used to, some of the water is from my cycled community tank that the Harlequins were being held in.

Bit of scouting in the last 5 minutes by the OH has found a smiliar story where the Betta was basically constipated, and to feed them half a pea a day to get, well, I guess fibre!

Anyway, clearer picture showing him braodside, the lump is quite obvious, and if you compare it to his picture from when I first had him, it's quite pronounced.

IMG-20120226-00173-1.jpg

Mega - Aquarian flake.

Hmm, that last comment seems to have vanished.

In answer to Mega's question, he has been fed flake food (Aquarian). He's had bloodworm as a treat before, but not recently.

I don't think its dropsy as his scales don't look like they are protruding but he is very swollen. He could be constipated or it could be an internal bacteria infection, im not an expert on betta's so not sure if this is a normal occurrence if they do eat a little too much or if the pea's will help with the constipation issue.

They say for humans to drink more liquids when constipated, not sure it'll help in this case :)

The pea thing was just one thread the OH found. Perhaps let both my Bettas have a starve day, see if that helps?

They say for humans to drink more liquids when constipated, not sure it'll help in this case :)

The pea thing was just one thread the OH found. Perhaps let both my Bettas have a starve day, see if that helps?

Yeah, that would be a good thing to do. Give him a day brake from the food, If the swelling doesn't go down then it could be an internal infection/parasite.

feed it a quater to half a pea in tiny pieces, then dont feed it till the next day where you do the same again, then feed it a pea twice a day, then slowly go back to normal. from now on soak the flakes or dried foods for about half a minute in water before feeding them so it doesnt expand in the fish's stomach. This works by the way. ive lost 2 bettas to constipation, i thought i was gonna lose a 3rd last week but i did this and it survived, its the only succesful way ive found, i have yet to try a salt bath though

Starve day tomorrow then feed peas, or a little pea tomorrow to get things moving?

What does a salt bath do?

Salts baths are a good thing to do to start the process when treating fish. Using salt encourages growth of new mucus and will also clear any bacteria which may be lurking, The salt is a good general treatment but you Have to be careful as some fish are more sensitive than others and the fish will roll. So you have to watch them carefully. If you do a lot of salt bathing you will notice the time it takes for them to roll reduces the more treatments they have, in a short time. I use quite a heavy dilution but id recommend a teaspoon per Litre. It is a lot more forgiving and you get the same result but it takes a couple more days, Plus you are not taking the fish to rolling point. :good:

Having a look this morning, it appears that the bump may have reduced slightly overnight.

Little hard to tell, but I'm hoping! See how he is later on, and I'll update as to how he's doing.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back