Betta Problem

Chase16016

Reaction score
Hey everybody. This probably isnā€™t the right location for a question like this but I need a quick answer. Just got the little guy. Put him in a 2.5 gallon filtered tank that Iā€™m using to reproduce snails for my puffer fish to eat. Well 48 hours in, half his face looks to be shedding. Any ideas what it is? He swims around a little, bit he lays on the bottom of the tank a lot too. His attitude hasnā€™t developed yet since heā€™s so new to the tank. The tankā€™s running on water thatā€™s already been cycling for a long time from another tank of mine. Iā€™ve attatched a photo of him. Let me know what yā€™all think!

Attachments

• E5A88BB5-E958-4BFE-8775-94F6D7D90995.jpeg
    E5A88BB5-E958-4BFE-8775-94F6D7D90995.jpeg
    887.8 KB · Views: 147
Hey everybody. This probably isnā€™t the right location for a question like this but I need a quick answer. Just got the little guy. Put him in a 2.5 gallon filtered tank that Iā€™m using to reproduce snails for my puffer fish to eat. Well 48 hours in, half his face looks to be shedding. Any ideas what it is? He swims around a little, bit he lays on the bottom of the tank a lot too. His attitude hasnā€™t developed yet since heā€™s so new to the tank. The tankā€™s running on water thatā€™s already been cycling for a long time from another tank of mine. Iā€™ve attatched a photo of him. Let me know what yā€™all think!
Using old tank water from a cycled tank is just adding used water with no beneficial bacteria. Bacteria live in the filter and surface areas of the tank. You need to put a piece of used filter media into the new tanks filter to kick start the cycle. As for his face shedding? No idea.

Using old tank water from a cycled tank is just adding used water with no beneficial bacteria.
Correct.

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Correct.

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Umm half of these questions are answered in the original post. Lol. Iā€™m not looking for help or guidance on tank maintenance. I have 4 tanks, including a 75g and 46g, and have been in the hobby for quite some time now. Always learning new things but Iā€™ve got maintenance down pretty good.

Not trying to come off rude or arrogant. I just donā€™t know how to make it sound nice in text lol. So please read with a pleasant tone.

I just donā€™t know what is causing this ā€œsheddingā€. Definitely not water related. Just want to know how to get him fixed up and back to a normal happy fish

Just got the little guy. Put him in a 2.5 gallon filtered tank
Not being rude but all this tells me is he is a new fish in a tank that may or may not be cycled and that there are a few snails in the tank and nothing else.

Iā€™ve got maintenance down pretty good.
I think not, because an experienced fish keeper would never use old water from 1 tank in another, same as they would not share things like nets or ornaments between tanks without sterilizing them first. Cross-contamination is a real danger..

I learned that lesson when I infected 3 tanks with ICH by using the same siphon hose on all 3, I had no idea the new Betta I got had ICH till it was too late.

Lots of opinions in the fish community honestly. I personally see nothing wrong with using water that is already cycled. It canā€™t really be called dirty since the tank is always up on maintenance. We live on well water so we do not have any of the chlorine/mineral problems that city folks have. And my pH is usually spot on out of the hose.

I donā€™t share equipment between tanks for the simple reason that itā€™s a hassle having to track down equipment lol. So every tank has its own stuff.

Anyways, the Betta passed this morning. Not sure what the issue was but he seemed to have some sort of flesh-eating disease. Went back to the same pet store that he was purchased earlier today and every single Betta was removed from shelves. Not sure why, I didnā€™t ask. But I doubt they sold all 50+ they had

I personally see nothing wrong with using water that is already cycled

There is no such thing.

I donā€™t see the issue at hand then. The water I used is already up to temp, chlorine free, ph is correct, no ammonia or nitrates/nitrites. Sure I can use new water but is that any more beneficial than what I used? I know the bacteria lives in the filter media.

Anyways, just came here for a question about my fish. It was something I hadnā€™t seen before, and it wasnā€™t related to the environment he was housed in.

The problem is that the water you are using could be the problem,

Sure I can use new water but is that any more beneficial than what I used?
Yes because its fresh water, if what you say about " cycled water " being better is right then why do we bother doing water changes?

LOOK I have no idea if its the water or some additive you are using Eg salt in the puffer tank, It could be something the puffer is immune to and the betta is not, but without asking all these seemingly pointless questions and going on the detailed answers you provide we can give you advice on whats wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back