Betta or Red Tail the Culprit?

Katchan

Fish Addict
Reaction score
the background, My 3 1/2 year old has a 70 L/18.5 gallon tank (which I maintain) that had 1 large angel, 2 small bristle nosed cats, 1 cory, 1 large red tail shark, 1 blue dwarf gourami, and 4 guppies (over stocked I know but the trickle filter and cleaning the tank every 8-10 days kept it going great).

About 2 weeks ago I added 1 male and 1 female betta (the male is a real 1/2 moon) to the tank (temp until I got my new 150L /40 gallon going fully) anyway 3 days ago I transferred some of the fish to my new tank leaving the 18.5 with the betta's, 4 guppies, the red tail shark, the cory and the smallest bristlenose and I also added 3 small 1" angels (2 move 2 a new tank when they get bigger). the day after I noticed 1 of the guppies was dead (I thought he had been done over by the angel just before I moved it as it had killed several neons and white clouds before) but in the last 20 odd hours 3 fish have gone missing :angry: (fully lidded tank, so no jumpers) eaten I assume, the female betta, the bristle nose and one of the angels, I figure the most likely culprit is the 1/2 moon (I've since seen him chasing the smallest of the 2 remaining angles so he has been booted off to a betta tank for now) but as the red tail is easily the biggest in the tank I figured he's a chance as well. Just hoping for some experienced opinions
Thanks in advance
Katchan

yup theyve been eaten just abit of advice dont get many smaller fish or theyll also get eaten sepereate the female (and ther male if wanting to breed)in a smaller tank next to the big one they should get used to the other fish then you can put them in the other tank :crazy:

the female beta is one of the eaten ones, I was thinking about having a go at breeding them once they had been away from the LPS for month or so

Katchan

Remaining Fish
3* Guppies
1* Cory
2* 1" Angels
1* Large Red Tail Shark(4 1/2 5")
1* 1/2 moon betta since sent to the sin bin (betta tank) 4 chasing angels

Katchan

Katchan said:
Remaining Fish
3* Guppies
1* Cory
2* 1" Angels
1* Large Red Tail Shark(4 1/2 5")
1* 1/2 moon betta since sent to the sin bin (betta tank) 4 chasing angels

Katchan
get rid of the red tailed shark its most likly the one also it can grow to over 2 meaters and are very vitious :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

dont get rid of it just put it in another tank or sell it back to where you got it
sorry :( :( :byebye: :byebye:

I'd say the shark is the most likely culprit. Our rainbow shark likes to terrorise anything that comes into his patch, especially at feeding time.

You have a lot of fish in there that don't belong together. Male bettas and male guppies are simply not compatible and you aren't supposed to mix male and female bettas either. Cories like to be in groups and guppies should be kept at a ratio of at least 2 females to every male or all one sex. Angels don't do well with fin-nippers (which bettas can be) and your male halfmoon and guppies are deffinately not good tank-mates for the aggressive natured red tail black shark. I suggest you do some research into each of your fish (check the fish index here for a start) and then look on google.com. Then stop adding new fish and start re-considering your current stocking. As things are at the moment, confrontations are inevitable and this will simply result in casualties. You need to get rid of the shark for a start (guppies and bettas are just not good tank-mates for this fish and, strictly speaking, neither are angels), and then make sure you keep the bettas seperate.

And just so you know :p, red tail (black) sharks don't get to 2 meters! They get to about 6" max. :) You are thinking about black sharks or, more likely, red tail cats.

i got confused with the red cat ops easy mistake :*) :*) :*)

Most reactions

Back