Betta/neons/cardinals??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Hi all,
I recently redid my little 3 1/2 gallon, and I wanted to find out your ideas for stocking it.
I definitely want a betta in there ( :hyper: ) but I was thinking, I just did my water testing on there and I'm ok to have neons, cardinals, and alot of other fish in there.
here are the results:
pH: 7.4
KH: 3 dKH
GH: 10
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
It's a planted tank with a power filter on it ( Top Fin 10 gallon filter actually, sorta needed a big filter, and it works wonderfully!!) and an UGF. It also has a 5 watt incandescent light in it.
Thanks in advance!!!
~Robin :D

Are they compatible? Well, it depends, in some situations yes, in others, no. I recommend you do not add neons or cardinals to such a tiny tank. There isn't enough room for them to swim much, and there is not enough water volume for you to keep the school they need to be comfortable. In addition, they sometimes nip at a betta's fins, shredding them. Or, the betta could have a lot of fight in him and hunt those neons down. Best to avoid mixing them in such small quarters with insufficient territory.

You might be able to do ghost shrimp with the betta, he may or may not kill them. A giant snail (the kind that have a trapdoor they can shut to protect themselves when they withdraw) would probably be safe but don't forget to feed them the veggies they need. Or just let your betta have the whole tank to himself, he will love the room, especially if you give him lots of plants to lounge on and swim among. :nod:

I agree with the above poster, there's not enough room for other fish with a Betta in that tank. In fact that's not enough room for tetras or cardinals alone since they are shoaling fish and you would want 6 or more together (and 3.5 gallons is not enough room for that many fish). You might consider getting an african dwarf from to go with a Betta, you would have room for that, but no more. Unfortunatly 3.5 gallons doesn't give you alot to work with other than as a quarantine/hospital tank or Betta tank.

Linda
http://www.pet-emporium.com
http://www.cooking-fanatics.com

Most reactions

Back