Betta In The Uptake

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

walklong

Reaction score
Hi, 

After a very brief search on the topic, I'm posting in hopes of having some good news for my 9 year old granddaughter. On a recent trip to petsmart, she fell in love with a male Betta - which she's named Captain Sparkles. I've coached her through the idea that a fish can live in a small 'death bowl' and now the Captain calls a 2 gallon Marineland Explorer home. (Christmas bodes a five gallon upgrade - but don't tell her, please.) 

Yesterday, whether by choice or by accident, Captain Sparkles got into the uptake tube of the filter. I've been checking on him from time to time during the day while my granddaughter is at school and discovered the Captain head down, at the top of the uptake tube with the tail fin presumably in the impeller. Shut the filter down and rescued the fish, replaced the tube and covered the end (which is about ¼" above the gravel substrate, BTW) with some netting to prevent repetition. 

Today, the Captain seems fine, with the exception of the 'haircut' his fins got in the ordeal. I'm wondering is there anything we should be doing (besides maintaining the water quality and avoiding stress) for the Captain, and, will he regrow his fins?

TIA for any and all help and feedback!

The main thing is to maintain very clean warm water.  If you did not cycle the filter first, I recommend 95% water changes every other day in a 2.5 gallon.  You need a heater and glass internal thermometer to keep the tank water at least 78F and keep it steady.  With clean warm water his fins should regrow pretty easily.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back