Betta in outdoor pond?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

King puff

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently started an outdoor pond. There is nothing in it and I would love to add some fish. I was researching different fish but none of them seemed to fit the conditions. Because we live in Arizona, the pond does get relatively warm (summers will heat up the water to high 80s low 90s). Then, I started researching bettas which live in Thailand where it is humid and hot. Would these conditions work for a betta. If not, what fish could I put in?

gouramis or Bettas would be fine. Have some floating plants in the pond for the fish to hide under and put a net over it if you get birds hanging around :)

Thanks! The pond is about 3 and a half feet long a foot wide and 8 inches deep. It has lots of algae, mosquito larvae, and snails as well as water lettuce and an air stone.

What’s the highest temperature a beta can go to? I’m guessing I would have to bring it in for winter?

Phoenix's coldest month is January when the average temperature overnight is 43.4°F

Thats way to cold for tropical fish.

If the pond was deeper it would be better, 8 inches of water will heat up pretty quickly. Can you put a shade sail or umbrella over it during the middle of the day? That would help keep it cooler and reduce evaporation.

Water Hyacinth & Water Lettuce transpire a lot and will drop the water level too, so make sure you keep the pond topped up.

Bettas and gouramis should be able to tolerate temperatures between 18-32C (64-90F) and possibly higher, as long as the temperature changes slowly over time.

I had rainbowfish outdoors in ponds and they hit 40C (104F) in summer and dropped to 5C (41F) in winter. I brought the fish in when the temper hit 10C (50F) but Bettas and gouramis will have to come in sooner. The fish were able to tolerate these temperatures because they changed slowly over a period of months.

You should get some mosquito fish and be careful with birds. Get some water lettuce and some duckweed

Phoenix's coldest month is January when the average temperature overnight is 43.4°F

Ya that is very true, if you really want to just but them inside during winter.

mosquito fish were my first option but the bioload might be too much for the pond to handle.

I will be putting up a shade to make sure it doesnt get to hot.

The pond is actually self filling and keeps the water level topped all the time

5B92D464-B027-40FC-9926-A7677361A695.jpeg
Also, how do I know that it is ready for fish? I’m starting to see scuds and daphnia. Is this a sign?

One more, do you think it will be difficult to swim with the algae?

If you have daphnia in the pond it is safe for fish. Daphnia are a good indicator of chemical free water.

The algae is a pain and it is a good idea to remove as much as you can. The easiest way is grab a handful and pull it out. It makes good mulch for the garden tho :)

Well.....
I've kept White Clouds in my 250 gallon pond all year here in Portland Or.
I keep a horse trough heater in it over winter. The temperature here dropped to 23° this year, but the pond stayed at 49° all winter. Too cold for Betta sure, but there are some "Tropical" fish that weather that just fine.

Technically WCM are temperate and not tropicals

If the pond was deeper it would be better, 8 inches of water will heat up pretty quickly. Can you put a shade sail or umbrella over it during the middle of the day? That would help keep it cooler and reduce evaporation.

Water Hyacinth & Water Lettuce transpire a lot and will drop the water level too, so make sure you keep the pond topped up.

Bettas and gouramis should be able to tolerate temperatures between 18-32C (64-90F) and possibly higher, as long as the temperature changes slowly over time.

I had rainbowfish outdoors in ponds and they hit 40C (104F) in summer and dropped to 5C (41F) in winter. I brought the fish in when the temper hit 10C (50F) but Bettas and gouramis will have to come in sooner. The fish were able to tolerate these temperatures because they changed slowly over a period of months.
I agree with you. The pond should be at least 36 inches deep to provide stable water temperature for the fish. A deeper pond allows your bettas to move vertically in the water column so they can find the temperature zone they like best. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back