Betta Fungus?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BeccaBlain

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi... I just recently purchased a Betta for the first time. I've owned a variety of different salt and fresh water fish before now (Lion fish, puffers, tangs, angels, Queen angels, eels...) and I've encountered something I haven't seen before.

On his forward most fins, there seems to be some sort of growth. Its the same color as his body, or clear, not white or even gray. (Which is what I was told to look for, and what I used to look for on my other fish) (He is a dark blue). He is active, he is eating like a voracious little monster, and he does not seem to be running up against his stones or the tank as if he has any normal fungus.

There are no signs of ich, dropsy, or any other problems I've seen.

Do you all have any suggestions to help me deal with this problem? I've had him since Sunday, I have seen no noticible growth of the "things" on the forward fins, and no spread to his dorsal or tail fins.

He flares when put next to the mirror in here, and is acting presumably normal. His color is also quite vibrant. I've had a problem with his fish food, (he refused flakes, so I have to switch over to pellets) and he has to suffer with a snack of bloodworms until I can go across town to get the pellets. (The fish store I purchased him from told me to bring him in so we could try him on a variety of foods, since he appears to be extremely picky)

:crazy:

Thanks,

Becca Blain

hmm... could it just be poop stuck to him ?

that happened to one of mine once.. thought it might be fungus, but it was jus like... poo or something stuck to him... when he swam around it fell off...

forward most fins.. are u talking about ventrals... the 2 pointy things under his head?

Hello,

The fins are the ones that he is always moving to keep balanced, to move forward, back, etc. The non decorative ones with the thing "veins" that extend from behind the gill to the edge, that seem transparent.

Its definitely not poop, its been there since Sunday. Its mostly on his left fin. There is a tiny splotch on his right, but neither have showed any signs of being changing. The one on the right looks the same, almost electric blue that his tail fin has. I can't for the life of me see any white to it, but I'm suspecting its some sort of fungus, and since I'm in Quebec, theres no stores nearby I can go to on wednesday that are still open! (Grrr)

Most of it is towards his body, just slightly away from where the fin attaches to behind the gill.

Judging from this, do you think Monomezurashii will be okay until tomorrow (or even better, Saturday?) I'm buying him a ten gallon aquarium I'm going to divide with a mesh divider and add another betta. Considering the Betta I'm going to get is going to have the same problem (same age, same location, same breeder) would it be better to just treat two at once?

The problem is, my apartment is too cold for my Betta to be happy, so I NEED the ten gallon, or he'll die. I just did a full change on his water this morning, (to warm the water, as well as to clean the tank). So, I'm pretty worried about the fish, he seems to be active and happy, and not stressed (He is swimming, playing, having a romantic interlude with his bloody thermometer...)

Okay, I'm long winded. I'll shut up and listen to the advice given :)

Thank you so much!

Becca

Most reactions

Back