Betta fry showing white colour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta fry are 2 week old. Some of them showing white colour on their back. I feed them egg yolk. Their parents are not white coloured. Both are blue. Then whats the white colour on back?

A picture always helps to ID problems :)

It could be their body colour coming thru but they don't normally change until about a month old. It could be fungus but that would kill them. It could be a muscle wasting disease but that also kills them.

Are they still swimming and eating ok?
If yes then I wouldn't worry too much.

A picture always helps to ID problems :)

It could be their body colour coming thru but they don't normally change until about a month old. It could be fungus but that would kill them. It could be a muscle wasting disease but that also kills them.

Are they still swimming and eating ok?
If yes then I wouldn't worry too much.
They are eating egg yolk.
This is pic but not clear. 2 weeks old.
Are those growing with normal rate?

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_195311.jpg
    IMG_20181013_195311.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 953
The white in the body looks like food.

At 2 weeks old you should start feeding them newly hatched brineshrimp. You can buy dry brineshrimp eggs at petshops and online and keep them in the fridge or freezer to last longer. You add a small amount of eggs to some salt water and aerate them. After 24-48 hours the eggs hatch and the orange nauplii (baby brineshrimp) can be sucked out with an eye dropper and fed to the fish.

There's more info on hatching brineshrimp eggs at the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Continue feeding egg yolk until all the fry are eating newly hatched brineshrimp. You will know which fry are eating them because they get orange bellies. When all the fry are eating newly hatched brineshrimp you can stop feeding them egg yolk.

After a couple of weeks on newly hatched brineshrimp you start adding other types of food like microworms, powdered flake food, baby daphnia, etc. Keep feeding newly hatched brineshrimp until the fry are about 2 inches long. By then they should be eating all sorts of different foods and won't need the brineshrimp nauplii.

The fry should have fat stomachs at all times regardless of what food is fed to them. You want to feed them at least 3 times a day and more often if possible.

Make sure you do regular partial water changes using dechlorinated water. The water changes help them grow faster.

The white in the body looks like food.

At 2 weeks old you should start feeding them newly hatched brineshrimp. You can buy dry brineshrimp eggs at petshops and online and keep them in the fridge or freezer to last longer. You add a small amount of eggs to some salt water and aerate them. After 24-48 hours the eggs hatch and the orange nauplii (baby brineshrimp) can be sucked out with an eye dropper and fed to the fish.

There's more info on hatching brineshrimp eggs at the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Continue feeding egg yolk until all the fry are eating newly hatched brineshrimp. You will know which fry are eating them because they get orange bellies. When all the fry are eating newly hatched brineshrimp you can stop feeding them egg yolk.

After a couple of weeks on newly hatched brineshrimp you start adding other types of food like microworms, powdered flake food, baby daphnia, etc. Keep feeding newly hatched brineshrimp until the fry are about 2 inches long. By then they should be eating all sorts of different foods and won't need the brineshrimp nauplii.

The fry should have fat stomachs at all times regardless of what food is fed to them. You want to feed them at least 3 times a day and more often if possible.

Make sure you do regular partial water changes using dechlorinated water. The water changes help them grow faster.
Do betta fries die due to overfeeding?

All fish fry die from not getting enough food, and from poor water quality caused by too much food and no established filter and lack of water changes.

If you are losing fry they are either starving or the water is going off. If you have an ammonia test kit check the water and do water changes. Carefully suck out the gunk in the bottom of the rearing container too. The easiest way to do this is with a clear plastic hose and syphon the water into another container. Then use a small plastic cup to scoop any fry out of that container and put them back in their original container.

All fish fry die from not getting enough food, and from poor water quality caused by too much food and no established filter and lack of water changes.

If you are losing fry they are either starving or the water is going off. If you have an ammonia test kit check the water and do water changes. Carefully suck out the gunk in the bottom of the rearing container too. The easiest way to do this is with a clear plastic hose and syphon the water into another container. Then use a small plastic cup to scoop any fry out of that container and put them back in their original container.
Water changing was like challenge for me. Fry are vry tiny so i hesitate for water changing so i was adding water each day im tank. I think that was not good idea

If you start off with a shallow water level you can add water to make it deeper and that acts a bit like a water change. But eventually you need to remove some of the water and replace it with clean water. You change about 10-20% (maybe more) per day for the first few weeks and increase it to 40-50% once the fry are eating brineshrimp nauplii.

If you use a white 2 litre plastic icecream container you can scoop some water out of the fry tank and see if there are any fry in it. If there are you can use a small cup to scoop the fry out of the 2 litre container and put it back into the tank.

If you start off with a shallow water level you can add water to make it deeper and that acts a bit like a water change. But eventually you need to remove some of the water and replace it with clean water. You change about 10-20% (maybe more) per day for the first few weeks and increase it to 40-50% once the fry are eating brineshrimp nauplii.

If you use a white 2 litre plastic icecream container you can scoop some water out of the fry tank and see if there are any fry in it. If there are you can use a small cup to scoop the fry out of the 2 litre container and put it back into the tank.
Now looks like breeding bettas very easy but taking care of fry little difficult because its time consuming but its ok. I just curious about their tail type

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back