Betta Fish And Goldfish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

[quote name=''genesis' post='1953056' date='Mar 23 2008, 02:08 PM'][quote name='AngelOfDeath' post='1953017' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:35 PM']Take the betta back to the store tbh[/quote]

Agreed.
[/quote]
I cann't. They wont let me its passed the date. but i put him in a breeding tank that is floating in my tank.

Then set up a separate 5 gallon tank for him with mature filter media from your main tank, as soon as you possibly can. Don't forget to get a heater and some soft plants for him to hide in. He can't live in a breeding compartment for the rest of his days. You also need to rehome the goldfish if you can't provide the space for them. I notice you say you have 19 other fish in a TEN GALLON? You are vastly overstocked.

Then set up a separate 5 gallon tank for him with mature filter media from your main tank, as soon as you possibly can. Don't forget to get a heater and some soft plants for him to hide in. He can't live in a breeding compartment for the rest of his days. You also need to rehome the goldfish if you can't provide the space for them. I notice you say you have 19 other fish in a TEN GALLON? You are vastly overstocked.
I have acually moved the 19 fish into a 23 gallon tank. and the gold fidh into a 15 gallon. Also i moved my betta into a fish bowl.

Well done.
I would recommend purchasing a small filter for the fish bowl :)

It's great that you have upgraded somewhat (the goldfish still need a lot more space, but for a short term soloution what you have is ok for a while ) but I was wondering how you are going to heat a bowl? The circular shape makes it impossible to attatch a heater to the side.

One of these would be better, far easier, and they are really quite cheap things too :
http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Large-Kritter-K...p;s=home-garden

Simply remove the lid for an open top, or cut holes for wiring to come out. A small 25w heater and a hang on the back filter + silk plants would be great for a betta.

There is also a great tutorial on this site ( in the DIY forum I think ) , showing how to make a very simple sponge filter too.

I'm not saying it isn't a good thing you moved him to his own space, because it definitely is. But I was just thinking that a simple cheap rectangular tank , in terms of shape , would makes things a lot easier in terms of heating and filtration, which are really needed, and thus it would make life easier for your Betta.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ouch.....my sister tryed to put a betta with her goldfish....it did not turn out too good....the betta started nipping the goldfishes finns before we knew it the goldfish had no back finn left....luckly the goldfish survived it but still has problums swimming....what i'm trying to say is....it's a BAAD idea. :crazy:

It's a bad idea all round since one species is tropical ( and the warmer end of tropical at that ) and the other coldwater. I can't imagine why anyone would want to mix the two to begin with . I just can't get the whole cramming as many different fish into one tank without research thing :blink: ( I am not saying this is what the original poster has done, it's just a general observation )

NO NO NO IF YOU WANT YOUR BETTA TO HAVE FINS THEN DONT DO IT ITS NOT WORTH RISKING AN INNOCENT BETTA OVER REMEMBER THAT NO FIN NIPPERS CAN GO IN WITH TESE FISH :no:

Most reactions

Back