Betta fins

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everyone, is this a normal thing that bettas do? My bett will sometimes has its fins closed but sometimes his fins are just wide open and look nice. Is this normal betta behavior, this is a example of what I mean 👇

Attachments

• 0895E872-524B-4D89-82F3-EED70BE0749F.jpeg
    0895E872-524B-4D89-82F3-EED70BE0749F.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 37
  • A62A710A-DBE8-46ED-B0F1-04506C244767.jpeg
    A62A710A-DBE8-46ED-B0F1-04506C244767.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 40
Hey :)
Your Betta Plakat spreads his fins (he flares) when he sees his refection in the glass, thinking it is an "invader".
It is definitely normal coz he is a territorial fighting fish that chases any opponent from his "kingdom".

Hey :)
Your Betta Plakat spreads his fins (he flares) when he sees his refection in the glass, thinking it is an "invader".
It is definitely normal coz he is a territorial fighting fish that chases any opponent from his "kingdom".
Ok thanks, I thought it might be normal but I wasn’t sure. Thanks.

That's a gorgeous fish. Is it a galaxy kio by chance? Just wondering because I just bought one and if it is I hope mine looks like yours when grown. It's on 3 month it's only a baby

That's a gorgeous fish. Is it a galaxy kio by chance? Just wondering because I just bought one and if it is I hope mine looks like yours when grown. It's on 3 month it's only a baby
He more than probably carries the "marble gene" which will make him change pattern and colors once or twice between ≃6 months old and ≃ 12-15 months old.

I bred wild Betta splendens caught by a friend in Laos, and the males would flare their fins to establish the boundaries of their territories in their large tank. As long as everything was stable and I made no additions or subtractions, fin flaring replaced fighting.
I'm guessing that as well as breeding them to create the fancy fins, breeders also selected for aggression. Domestic Bettas would have gutted each other in the set up the wilds got along fine in.
You'll find a lot of fish use their fins to communicate like that.

Most reactions

Back