Betta Edithae And Betta Falx

kebuchan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Edithae and Falx. Right now I have them in a divided 10g, basically 5g a couple. Got some plants in there and a filter going until I figure out where I'm going to put them. I was at a fish club meeting and there was a visiting speaker who had wild bettas ... and I couldn't resist :hyper:

I am a little concerned because they don't seem to want to eat anything :-( Betta food, tropical flakes, dried tubifex, frozen blood worms, nothing. The only thing they eat are brine shrimp. I bought some brine shrimp to try and they ate them all but again not very enthusiastically.

I hear they can be kept in a community tank but haven't ventured down that path yet. Since they don't seem to want to eat anything I think they might starve in a community tank where they have to actually compete for food.

Does anyone have Falx or Edithae? I would appreciate any advice on these.

Thanks,

Kevin

Those bettas are probably not used to be eating so much. In the wild, they were probably next to starving. And then when you came along and started offering them a wide variety of all-they-can-eat; it was a big shock (along with being held captive after being wild). They need time. Once they get used to being in captivity, they will begin to show their true selves. And they will eat when they are hungry. They will not starve themselves when there is visible food available.

hope that helps :D

well, are they tank raised, or wild caught? If they are wild caught, then that's likely the reason they aren't eating. It's fairly common for wild fish to be reluctant to adapt to tank life. My suggestion would be to try feeding live foods like blackworm. Also, I don't know how your tank is set up, but they will feel a great deal better if it is heavily planted and, if you can get it, if you add indian almond leaf or something of that nature to darken the water.

If these are tank raised fish from a breeder then they may just be throwing a tantrum about being moved and with time should settle in and start eating. If you have the contacts of the person you got them from it might be wise to ask what he was feeding them.

well, are they tank raised, or wild caught? If they are wild caught, then that's likely the reason they aren't eating. It's fairly common for wild fish to be reluctant to adapt to tank life. My suggestion would be to try feeding live foods like blackworm. Also, I don't know how your tank is set up, but they will feel a great deal better if it is heavily planted and, if you can get it, if you add indian almond leaf or something of that nature to darken the water.

If these are tank raised fish from a breeder then they may just be throwing a tantrum about being moved and with time should settle in and start eating. If you have the contacts of the person you got them from it might be wise to ask what he was feeding them.

They're wild caught. It might just take some getting used to, ie. the tank and environment. I also need to add some more plants b/c they still can't disappear from sight completely which is something that might help them feel more comfortable.

I have heard of almond leaf but never used it before. Then again, I haven't kept any kind of betta for about 15 years since my fishkeeping days in highschool. At the time I had betta splendens (tank bred probably) and they seemed to be happy without a whole lot of plants or hiding places, also bred very readily.

I am contemplating putting them into one of my community tanks, they might become a little more "sociable". On the other hand they might get even worse and become more reclusive.

Kevin

there is actually a profile on the falx here Betta Falx.

personally, i would make sure that they were eating reliably before putting them in a community tank, if i were to put them in at all. The reason is that if they aren't taking food, or they are slow to take it, they will likely be outcompeted by the fish that take it readily.

More plants would definately make them feel better, and caves too, especially for the edithae who appear to be cave brooders (small clay pots laid on their sides will do fine). As for the almond leaf, I think that you can also use peat or oak leaves to create the same effect but you'll have to do some research on that. The tannins get released in the water, it lowers the ph and i believe the darker water makes the fish feel more protected. At any rate, if they are wild caught then they have come from "blackwater" as it's called and may be upset by the clear water.

All fancy finned/colored betta splendens are tank raised. The wild form of these fish is dark with short fins and its a bit like comparing a wolf to your dog. Because of that it's far less necessary to try to match their natural habitat because they've been bred for hundreds of years to suit our tastes. With these wild species - especially the wild caughts, but often even tank raised wilds - it's more important to try to mimic the environment they came from because they are programmed much more strongly to want things a certain way.

I should mention though that I haven't kept wilds before so most of what i'm saying is from things i've read rather than actual experience, but I wouldn't repeat it if I didn't think it made sense :good:

good luck with 'em, they're lovely little fish.

Most reactions

Back