Betta died and now guppy is acting weird

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

HENSandMARES

Reaction score
Betta died this morning, now one of my guppies is acting weird, just kind of floating at the surface. She’s still swimming but in comparison to the other guppies and her normal she’s acting very lethargic. Mustered up the energy to panick when I went to separate her though. Was sitting in the corner for a bit.
What do you think is wrong and what should I do about it. I have 3 other guppies. The tank is 10 gallons and cycled with mostly fake stuff and some moss balls.
Thoughts would be much appreciated

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

It helps to know more of the data when diagnosing disease or other issues:
How long has the tank been running,
what fish (species and numbers) are in it,
what are the test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (if you can test),
what are the parameters (GH, pH and temperature),
how frequent and what volume are water changes,
how long have you had the betta and the guppies.

The betta was a dumbo halfmoon
The guppies are just female fancy tail guppies from Petsmart.
The Betta I got about two months ago,
The first two guppies about 7 weeks ago, it’s on of theses that’s concerning me.
We got 2 more guppies 2 weeks ago. Tank has also been running for around 2 months as well
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
0 GH
No chlorine
80 total alkalinity
About 7 pH
20 percent water changes once a week

The betta was a dumbo halfmoon
The guppies are just female fancy tail guppies from Petsmart.
The Betta I got about two months ago,
The first two guppies about 7 weeks ago, it’s on of theses that’s concerning me.
We got 2 more guppies 2 weeks ago. Tank has also been running for around 2 months as well
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
0 GH
No chlorine
80 total alkalinity
About 7 pH
20 percent water changes once a week
What is the ammonia of the water? Besides being lethargic, are there any other signs your guppy is showing? What were the symptoms of the betta fish before she died if you saw?

What is the ammonia of the water? Besides being lethargic, are there any other signs your guppy is showing? What were the symptoms of the betta fish before she died if you saw?
I have tested the water for ammonia, there is none.
The guppy has since passed. But I'd like to know what to do if the others start acting weird.
If they do I'll take a video of them.
The betta had been fine the day before. In the morning they weren't very hungry and lurking in the corner at the bottom of the tank but they moved away just fine.
In comparison to the way the other guppies were moving (very fluid, following each other around all levels of the tank) she had her face up at the surface of the water, barely moving her tail and when she would turn around it didn't look nearly as fluid as the other guppies.

Did you happen to see how their poop looked like? Was it white and stringy before they died? my suspicion is that if you’re water parameters are good and your fish are not fighting with each other it might be a parasite based on the lethargic and also loss of appetite at the end. I’ll let @Colin_T follow up to see what he thinks.

You will be asked a lot of questions, but this is the only way any of us can hopefully identify the issue, so bear with it.

Do not acquire any more fish until this is resolved, which may take some time. Diagnosing fish issues is anything but straightforward. Also do not be led into dumping so-called medications in case it is "x" or "y." These things stress fish, and if they are not targeting the issue will only cause more problems.

The photos Colin asked for may help.

Two things I will mention, the GH at 0 is not good for guppies. Livebearers need moderately hard water. This would not have been the case with the betta, but it is something that will make life difficult for guppies so once this is resolved, soft water fish will be advisable.

The other thing I spotted are the water changes. Do at least half the tank volume at each one, and use a good conditioner. Clean fresh water is not going to harm any fish. Provided the parameters--which refers to GH, pH and temperature--are basically the same, you cannot change too much water.

You will be asked a lot of questions, but this is the only way any of us can hopefully identify the issue, so bear with it.

Do not acquire any more fish until this is resolved, which may take some time. Diagnosing fish issues is anything but straightforward. Also do not be led into dumping so-called medications in case it is "x" or "y." These things stress fish, and if they are not targeting the issue will only cause more problems.

The photos Colin asked for may help.

Two things I will mention, the GH at 0 is not good for guppies. Livebearers need moderately hard water. This would not have been the case with the betta, but it is something that will make life difficult for guppies so once this is resolved, soft water fish will be advisable.

The other thing I spotted are the water changes. Do at least half the tank volume at each one, and use a good conditioner. Clean fresh water is not going to harm any fish. Provided the parameters--which refers to GH, pH and temperature--are basically the same, you cannot change too much water.
The water where I live is very acidic. Second guppy has become lethargic what should I do?

The water where I live is very acidic. Second guppy has become lethargic what should I do?
There are two options. First is to rehome the guppies and prepare to acquire soft water fish (there are hundreds by comparison). Or second is to provide harder water and keep hard water fish.

Let me say though that having to prepare special water for every water change is extra work and can be considerable, and it costs more. A calcareous substrate is a good idea, so it means buying a calcareous sand and rebuilding the tank. There are salts for hardwater fish, salts meaning the salts of calcium and magnesium, not common table salt sodium chloride. The water has to be mixed outside the tank at each water change, and then added when it has the same parameters. I have done this, for mollies and rift lake cichlids, back in the 1980's. I have never done it again because it is just too much work when there are so many fish suited to my soft water.

post clear (in focus) pictures and video of all the fish.

the 2 new guppies you got recently probably brought in a disease.

if you can't post pictures and videos, do the following.

----------------------

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

----------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

super sensible to temp
I assume you meant " sensitive"?

Guppies can be kept at just room temperature. No real need for a heater unless they were kept at higher temperatures before.

I assume you meant " sensitive"?

Guppies can be kept at just room temperature. No real need for a heater unless they were kept at higher temperatures before.
i had 6 guppies, one female died and one wqs about to die before i add a heater.

i had 6 guppies, one female died and one wqs about to die before i add a heater.
Then most likely those guppies were kept at a higher temperature before you got them. I keep guppies ever since the 1970's and they do well at lower temperatures. But again, that goes well once they gradually get used to it and when they are born in water with lower temperatures. A sudden change in temperature which exceeds their tolerance margin, can indeed cause weaker or even dead fish. But that's all to it.

Most reactions

Back