Betta Buddies?

DeeGeeDee

Reaction score
Hi

I plan to get a male Betta and hopefully house him with a handful of Endlers (male) and some shrimp.

I've read that the Betta's will eat shrimp. Is that always the case?

Is my stock wish list a good idea?

It's not always the case that bettas will eat shrimps, but they are, in general, best kept alone.

Thank you. I have read they should be kept alone but also read that they sometimes do accept Endlers. Any advice on that?

If you decide to try it have a back up plan in place should it not work out - not all Betta's are created equal - personally I've had success with Lampeyes.

When you set up the tank and cycle it then put the endlers and shrimp in first give them a few days to a week to settle in then add the Betta, Doing it this way the betta should accept the endlers without to much drama no promises on the shrimp.

Last edited:
I've noticed it helps to pick endlers that aren't the same color as the betta you plan on getting.

Technically speaking, Betta are not community fish. A male should be housed on its own in an appropriate tank, with no other fish. Shrimp may or may not be eaten.

While it is true that some may have success (though this is not always long-term) with other fish combined with a male Betta, it is a risk and this is not fair to the fish. I have not "tried" this with Endlers, but given that guppies tend to inflame most Bettas and nip them, and many Betta will try to eat guppies, I would not attempt Endlers.

Experiments may be less risky if you have tanks running to deal with separation should it be necessary. But this is still a risk and the fish deserve better from us.

Byron.

Thank you to everyone for their reply. As much as I would love a Betta, I think I'll stay away for now until I can maybe house one on their own.

I agree, make sure u have a backup plan. A friend of mines added shrimps and his Betta got stressed and killed them all, including snails.

Most reactions

Back