Betta and popeye

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrsHennesy87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:(:(So I went to do a water change on my daughters half moon dumbo Betta and noticed he has popeye. I ordered some Melafix that will be here on Saturday. I was reading I can do Epsom salt baths to help with the fluid in his eye? I’m not sure how much salt to use in a salt bath? Or can I add Epsom salt to his tank (3.5g). :(

Attachments

• 725DAFB6-342F-4356-BBE7-F563A4B770B7.jpeg
    725DAFB6-342F-4356-BBE7-F563A4B770B7.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 393
Is it just the one eye? Epsom salt baths will help but I'd stay away from Melafix. It made from oily substances that can clog up the betta's breathing labyrinth (for breathing air) and negatively effect the fish. I'd go with a different med, something like tetra fungus guard. Melafix in mainly a "herbal remedy" and doesn't isn't really worth money IMO.

Is it just the one eye? Epsom salt baths will help but I'd stay away from Melafix. It made from oily substances that can clog up the betta's breathing labyrinth (for breathing air) and negatively effect the fish. I'd go with a different med, something like tetra fungus guard. Melafix in mainly a "herbal remedy" and doesn't isn't really worth money IMO.

Ahhh dang I already ordered the Melafix and we are in a tight budget, everything I ready said using Melafix is good! Dang it.

For the salt bath, dissolve the salt in tank water *before* adding it to the tank. Don't just pour salt into the tank. If you boil the salt in water, that will work as well, but then you have to wait for the temp to come back down before adding to the tank. Just make sure you do dissolve the salt first, no matter what method you use to dissolve it.

For the salt bath, dissolve the salt in tank water *before* adding it to the tank. Don't just pour salt into the tank. If you boil the salt in water, that will work as well, but then you have to wait for the temp to come back down before adding to the tank. Just make sure you do dissolve the salt first, no matter what method you use to dissolve it.
It’s okay to put directly in the tank?
I’ve heard of salt baths but his eye is big and I’m scared to bump it or hurt it anymore? I’m nervous he’s not moving around very much

If he's not moving around and seems very lethargic, popeye is probably a symptom of a larger problem in his tank. Do you have a water test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If so, please test the water and post the results here. If not, you can take a cup of water from his tank to the pet store and they will test the water for you. Post the results here. We are looking for actual number for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If the pet store says your water is "fine", don't settle for that answer. Get the actual numbers. Also, take a sample of straight tap water, and have them test that, too. So that you know if there's anything toxic in your tap that you need to detox for.

It’s okay to put directly in the tank?

No. Dissolve the salt first. Take some of his tank water out of the tank and dissolve the salt in that, then pour the water with the dissolved salt back into the tank. Raw undissolved salt can and will irritate your betta. One way you can do this is with a water change; dissolve the salt in the new water before putting it in his tank.

Whether you use salt or not, fresh, clean water is a good general cure-all tonic for bettas. During this time that he's got popeye, change at least 50% of his water every second day. There's no such thing as too many water changes, and clean water is the best medicine of all. Just make sure you are using a dechlorinator when preparing his new water, don't just use straight tap water.

If you do use salt, understand that water changes will remove some of that salt, so you need to replace the salt you removed, but only the salt you removed. Do one full dose of salt for the initial dosing, then with each 50% water change add a half-dose of salt. Do this for one week, then stop adding salt, but keep doing 50% water changes every second day. You only want him to have salt for one week, but you want to keep giving him water changes every second day until the popeye is completely gone.

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:
  • a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time!
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back