Betta And Pearl Gouramis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SimonA

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so I have a male betta and on saturday I got 2 Pearl Gouramis And the last couple of days the betta just seems to be chasing the Pearl Gouramis around. He hasnt actully bit them but seems to be trying a bit of snaps.

Are they just playing or are my fish in trouble.

How big is the aquarium? Your betta probably thinks of the gouramis as female bettas. He may hurt the gouramis over time, so maybe find your betta a nice tank just for himself.

I currently have a dwarf gourami living w/ a female betta in my 20g, they don't bother each other at all.

I have a betta in with gourami, but i saw a betta in my lfs in a tank of gourami going crazy and flaring and lunging at them. As a general rule bettas and gourami arent supposed to be kept together, although in many cases they are fine, you appear to have been one of the unlucky ones. I would suggest getting a small tank for your betta to live in.

I dont know where you live but if in the uk, wilkinsons stores sell an ideal 11 litre plastic fish tank for £4.99. You can get away without a heater or filter, but a 25watt heater and a small sponge filter would finish the setup for your betta off perfectly. (total cost in my area, £4.99 for tank, £3.99 for filter, £5.00 for air pump, 75p for air line tubing, 49p for non-return valve, £15.00 for heater, total : £30.22 )

so for £30 you can keep your betta happily, if you cant afford that then maybe its best that either the betta or the gourami go back to the lfs before they hurt each other :unsure:

Yes, I too have heard that those two species are incompatible. Take out the Betta ASAP, unless you want a pair of very sad gouramis on your hands.

Well I will try to remove my betta but my mum just says make a few hiding places.

I have a spare tank spare filter spare heater but no lid or light.

Most reactions

Back