betta and gourami

lonelyneon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm back. Havent been to this forum for a while but I'm not sure if anyone remembers me or even noticed that I was gone... but anyways thats off subject....
I just purchaced a blue Betta today and I was wondering if it would be ok for me to place my betta in the same tank with my golden gourami. I also have a alge eater in that tank so I was wondering if they would all be tank friendly.
Thanks
_Niters_ ;)

Gouramis and bettas do not make good tankmates. It is ingrained in their genes to kill the other.

uuuuhhhh greattttt... so now i kno to keep my betta in the little bowl I bought it... ty! :huh:

Well, just to let you know a gold gourami will outgrow a ten gallon tank

But besides that you should get your betta a bigger bowl/tank if you feel it's small.

Buy a 20 gallon for the gold gourami (30 gallon preferably) and move your betta into the empty 10 gallon ;)

*Gouramis and bettas do not make good tankmates. It is ingrained in their genes to kill the other*

That is not true, betta's en goerami's can be kept together with no problems.
And they are certainly not genetically programmed to kill each other.
Oke, they both can be very agressive, especially when they have a nest and they both occupy the opper water levels. So they are more likely to have disputes with each other.

But if the tank is big enough and with enough plants there are no problems. If you meet these conditions there should be no problems, even when one of the species has a nest and is more agressive than usual, the other can avoid him.
I've kept betta's and a goerami's in an 250 liter tank for years (which is very well planted) and I've never had problems. I wouldn't try this in a 60 liter tank.

So just give them space.

I agree with anieka, I also have bettas sharing a tank with my dwarf gouramis and don't have any probs. It depends more on the actual individual fish than on species I think. However, it is a good idea to be cautious and keep an eye on them for a bit just to be on the safe side ;)

Well I didnt put them in the tank together.. i have another 10 gallon that i kinda let go to ruins so i'm resurecting that one right now... everyone says that my gourami will grow out of the tank he's in but so far nothing. Hes about 2 inches long and only shares the tank with an alge eater.... :dunno:

Most reactions

Back