Betta AND Angel?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

reay6790

Reaction score
Can you put a betta in a tank with an Angelfish or two? My mother really wants one and I am wondering if I could put it in the same tank still or if I have to get another one...

angelfish have an eye for anything long, flowing and flashy so would go for his fins. they can go with female bettas but even then the females will probably have a go at the angels fins.

Some people have had a betta and an angel work fine in the same tank. I've tried keeping a betta and angelfish together, but my angel instantly went after the betta as soon as I put him in there. So the betta had to move to a 2.5 gallon, so my advice to you would be to not try keeping them together :)

However, you could put females with angelfish. I've had 2 females with mine before and they got along ok; but the angelfish still nipped at the females occasionally.

If your tank has a lot of hiding spaces, it could work :thumbs:

What size tank and with how many angels?

Generaly, it is not advised, but you could try (a minnimum of) 4 female bettas with 2 (adult) angels in at least a 30 gallon and see if it works out. Oftentimes, with these particular fish, it comes down to the individual's character.

Alternatively, if your mother realy likes bettas, maybe this is a chance for a new tank. You can keep a single one in a small (2-2.5 gallon or more is best IMO) bowl.

I think I'm just gonna use my old 5 1/2 gallon for one...thanks tho! Do I need a filter for one though?

i think so, i have a female betta in with my angel fishes ( i have a golden veil and a koi angel). shouldn't this topic be in the Betta section?

No you don't need a filter but still treat the tank like you would an ordinary one (when it comes to cycling etc - it will take longer without a filter though - do a fishless cycle - see the link in my signature for info - you can use gravel from your established tank to help speed it up). Also, test the water regularly and do a water change whenever you see nitrAtes rising above 20ppm (or if there's any trace of ammonia/nitrIte once you have the fish in there) or at least once a week if nitrAtes take logner to reach that level.

that is why i got my ghost glass catfish, those guys will stop the other fish from attacking. or nipping/ charging. it's really nice. they r like police cops.

Most reactions

Back