Betta And A Dwarf Puffer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I REEEEEALLLLY wouldnt they are the fish I have, the puffs would be vicious little fin nippers and the betta in return may be one who doesnt like company especially zippy in your face things! I really would not think it possible but would love to hear otherwise.

i was afraid you would say that!! have you tried to keep your puffer and Calcifer (?) together? any luck?

LOL I have to say I havent tried but with their personalities I wouldnt want to :(

The two in the 14g Piggy and Miniman are very boisterous and was the reason for moving Mainman out. Calcifer has been also spoilt from the start and having to adjust to a gentle frog so wouldnt test him against them. Mainman is a pretty subdued puff so if did would do with him but would reckon Calcifer would win. The problem i think you would have is the male betta temperament and fighting skill and the puffs seeing those tempting flowing fins, not to also mention their beaks/teeth which can rip snails apart..

It would be interesting to find out as they have the same conditions and needs (mostly) but I just wouldnt with mine, it would be too upsetting.

Might be worth posting this in the general or oddball section to see on this combination but you may get lots of "no way!" responses :)

###, looks like my dream of an aggressive tank is over (well, with these two at least!) I would love to know if anyone has had success though...Sgt. Rocky is pretty laid back, im able to keep him with neon tetras, he leaves them along and they are to scared to start on him lol

he does not sound much of a problem, if you were to do it, you would need to be there watching on tense springs. If he is laid back perhaps him in first and established and then young puffs after so they do not establish territories beforehand. Also may help to get females but if young can not always tell and the females can be much more harder and bully than the males sometimes. I would be worried as they grew also may get more aggressive etc, also another note they are super aggressive eaters.

I had a fourth Princess but she dies during the week because she couldnt wait for her food, leapt the water for it and got some air trapped in her belly which couldnt get out (should note she was the most aggressive out the bunch). So would be worried your laid back betta would need pinpoint feeding to ensure got anything.

I would say try it but you would need to be accepting of the consequences if something goes wrong and have a spare tank ready to rescue one from the other. Others that have had DPs and know pretty much everything about them is Jennybugs, iSnail and Bagu, they usually reply in the Oddball section, could always have a similar post there, would be curious to see what they say and if they concur?

yeah, i think im going to set up a very small tank soon, only 3/4 gallons, if I do I will then get a DP knowing I will be able to move them around! thanks for answering my Q's on DPs, i think i need to doa bit more research into this!

well if it does not scare you let me give you some lowdown on them! (sorry in advance if do scare you!)

They dont care either way on sand or gravel, wont affect them, any plants including plastic will do.

Best temperature is around 26C, fully cycled tank needed as sensitive.

Never EVER let them get air in, they cant get it out themselves and as I found out neither can you.

They love bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp, some I have heard love prawn. They LOVE snails (always set up small tub for breeding if get into it). They can be messy so the bigger tank the better.

Recommended would be 4-5g as messy and easier to keep safe water parameters.

Juveniles are hard to tell apart, males tend to have stripes on belly and blue eye wrinkles. Females whiter bellies and slightly bigger (though the dominant puff may also develop a stripe).

They are also the worst/best beggers on the planet and will eat till their stomachs explode. Surprisingly they only need about 3 if that bloodworm a day, give them a day sabbatical. Others dont feed this often but I like to. They will hand feed and learn to recognise their owner and handle. They may nip your hands friendly if in the tank (doesnt hurt ;))

And that is to start you! LOL Sorry!

p.s. a quick gratuitous photo of Piggy ;)

3586738362_eb18d7e005_m.jpg
3585928405_72f9cd490f_m.jpg

Hi

Betta and DP's, dont even consider it. DP's are highly territorial and aggressive and would strip the male betta pretty darn quick!

To keep DP's, they need a minimum of 5 UK gallons per fish, heavily planted and lots of caves etc....

I want! I want! I want! I want! I want! I want! I want! Im going to seriously consider getting another tank lol

I will say most sources say 5 US gal (just from my point of view ;)) some have even gone for 3g (if you are willing to have crystal clear water conditions always!)but basically the rule of thumb is the more space the better as it helps keep the water stable for such messy creatures. Also because they are inquisitive and curious intelligent so small spaces can be inadequate and may become bored quite quickly. More plants and decor the better! Also last point in the oddball section is some pinned topics on this most excellent species. You will be smitten!

Yeh, but you could only have one DP in a 5g, US or UK, due to their aggressiveness. Just thought i'd make that clear for the op.

Oh yeah absolutely!! Just the one fellow. Also to mention these guys do not get lonely by themselves so do not worry about having the one! ;)

I dont see why not, ive got a pigmy, a betta, a discus, 3 catfish, 6 neon tetras, 4 yellow honey guoramis, 2 robin red guoramis, 4 bottom feeders, and about a dozen guppies all living perfect harmony in a 95litre tank? Its about introduxing early on...

I dont see why not, ive got a pigmy, a betta, a discus, 3 catfish, 6 neon tetras, 4 yellow honey guoramis, 2 robin red guoramis, 4 bottom feeders, and about a dozen guppies all living perfect harmony in a 95litre tank? Its about introduxing early on...

Betas and dwarf puffers should not ever be put together.

As for your stocking, I'm sorry to say it's very poor. Just in terms of size and water preferences, many of your fish aren't suitable, I'm afraid.

You might have been lucky and got away with it so far, but that doesn't mean that other people will, or that your tank will stay peaceful :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back